JerryBaumchen

RAX System Demo

Hi hackish,

It would cause TSO problems on my vector 3 wouldn't it?

Why? As I have posted in the past, at the PIA/Reno '07 Bill Booth informed me that he had not submitted the SkyHook to the FAA as a Minor Change. He told me why and I accept his position.

A few days later, in a conversation with Derek Thomas of Sunpath, I concluded that they also did not submit their SkyHook to the FAA. Again, I accept their position.

Now, given that, I see no reason why any rig cannot have any MARD-type of device installed and never advise the FAA of the installation.

Other people may disagree with how I feel on this matter.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Michael, this FAA-TSO discussion, IMO, has little to do with the video of the RAX testing. If you would like to continue to discuss this why contact me via personal email and I will spend as much time as you would like discussing it?

Hi Jan,

My understanding now is that the RAX does not ensure that the main has been completely cutaway when you have a partial malfunction.

I simply do not understand this sentence. To ensure that one's main is completely cutaway is to pull your 3-ring release handle.

The RAX System ( like the SkyHook ) is a connection between the RSL and the reserve bridle line.

In the video at about 4:20 - this is the first view of the bag lock mal.
Just before the reserve PC and freebag disappear from view, the reserve PC looks like it catches air and looks like it pulls tension on the reserve bridle line. The reserve canopy is still in the bag at this point too. Did the RAX disconnect on that jump (at that point)?

Good catch; it took me a long time to actually see that. As regards the pilot chute pulling tension, at this point everything ( main, risers, reserve pilot chute, etc ) is gone so it is insignificant if the reserve pilot chute inflates or not.

The RAX System, at the connection of the RSL/bridle line did not disconnect.

The only time that the RSL/bridle connection disconnected was during a 'normal' main canopy cutaway and the 'garbage' was flailing and drifting in the wind which resulted in the RSL/bridle connection disconnecting. But at that point, so what?

What criteria did you use to determine the placement of the RAX on the bridle line?

The connection is at 5 ft ( 1500 mm ) from the top of the reserve bridle line. I stole that distance from Bill Booth. B|

Not having a schematic or picture of the rigging makes it hard to see how the RAX actually works.

I understand & that is not the purpose of the video. Hopefully it will all make sense when you have the mockup and the instructions in your hands.

Have I answered your questions?

JerryBaumchen

PS) I need to get busy & makeup some more mockups; this posting is generating a lot of emails.

Hi Half,

I thought this possiblity was made possible by the collins lanyard, which this system does not have. No?

Please do not take my response as being derogatory towards you.

The Collins Lanyard ( and Bill Booth is the very best person to explain it ) functions when you have your RSL-side riser break or disconnect. At that point it pulls the cable holding the non-RSL-side riser onto your harness.

The Collins Lanyard, and of itself, will not cutaway your main canopy. That is what your 3-ring handle is for.

You are not alone in not completely understanding this. Parachute gear is increasingly becoming very complex ( sub-systems after sub-systems ) and one must carefully read the manuals to understand their gear. And merely reading the manuals may not be sufficient.

End of rant!

JerryBaumchen

Hi Shane,

Due to my huge lack of experience I don't completely understand what the RAX does.

I do not know what a Broadcast Engineer is; I am a Mechanical Engineer.

At two jumps I would not expect that you know.

The RAX System ( just like the SkyHook ) is a system to pull the reserve canopy out of its container and free bag when cutting away from a malfunctioned main canopy.

This is best shown in the video with the clip that was filmed from directly behind the jumper; the clip where the jumper is waving his right hand up and down.

If upon viewing this clip and not still understanding what the system does, then I would suggest that you sit down with your skydiving instructor(s) and see if he/she can give you a further explanation.

At one point in my life I also had only two jumps but gear was MUCH simpler in those days.

I hope that this helps a little,

JerryBaumchen

Hi skydiverek,

Is this system a copy (or based on) of Eric Fradet's system?

No. This system is from the evil mind of Kelly Farrington. ;)

I have one of Eric Fradet's systems on a rig here at my home. I have also been emailing him continually for over a year on these systems.

Does this answer your question?

JerryBaumchen

I got to play with a mock up a few months ago also. I pulled and tugged and actually broke a few stitchs because I was concerned about the strength. Not concerned anymore.

My other concern was about part of the assembly falling apart with wear loosening a friction fit. Jerry's told me he added a safety thread stitch to prevent that. (No Jerry, I haven't had time to look at the dvd to see if it's on there. But I plan to so you don't get it back! Thanks.)

I like it and if I wanted a MARD would use it.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

What happens in a main canopy entanglement or horseshoe?
(This scenario was never tested on the skyhook because it is too dangerous.)

In this scenario, tested or not, I think the bottom is that it's going to be a crap shoot. There are simply too many variables in the real world. Does the canopy make it out of the bag? Is the drag on just the suspension lines going to create enough force to open the riser covers and release the risers consistently? Will they just pull the risers under the riser covers? Will they have enough force to pull the reserve pin and initiate a MARD deployment? Will the jumper pull the reserve pin before the RSL? What's the jumper's body position going to be, and how will that affect the variables above? Keep in mind that main bridles are a pretty standard length, but suspension lines are not.

I'd like to see a test or five done, but I don't know if they would be very meaningful in the real world.:)
VSE on Facebook

Well, if that's all they've got....:D It uses a loop, grommet, and a pin, but they FUNCTION differently. If the person sending the emails doesn't see that, their OPINION doesn't mean much, if you ask me. But what about Eric Fradet's opinion? Here's what he has to say about it (posted with his permission, from an email from last year):

hi Jerry,
it is OK, I know exactly what do you call inner flap now, I was a little bit confused because the rig you sent did not have one...
concerning your design, to tell you the truth, I am some kind of jealous to not coming up with the idea, I rather like your design than Bill's or mine since it does not obey to the aerodynamics...
Yes it has a lot of potential, the most difficult is to keep it simple and 100 % functionnal without adding magnet or benji to help the interlock to stay connected..
Also despite your very generous move to give it to everyone you should consider to protect it, I am saying that for 2 reason:
1) you "break" the market of the people like me ( I am kidding somewhere)who is spending a bunch of money to take patent while you give yours for free in a sport where you are correct = no one wants to pay for something he can go around ..
2) more important : you are going to loose control of your design since some manufacturers are going to use it with wrong measurements or wrong position, and manufacturer who will claim they invented it, you take the risk to see the design on the market before your self will use it, it is my recommandation..
I am going to play a little bit more with it as soon I have more time, and I still need to mount my interlock on your rig.
all the best,
eric

VSE on Facebook