jenfly00

Air conditioning question

Central A/C not quite cutting it last few days. A/C guy came out this AM to check and pressure was "Good". Air flow seems OK but temp coming out of the vents is 70F. I change filters regularly but the guy cleaned it out anyway.

Usually in the afternoon on hot days it works fine (room temp 75-77F) but now, running full blast all day, can't get the room temp less than 84F.

Any suggestions?

jen
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

well.. it really depends.. is your unit the right size for your squar footage. If it is just enough, and the temp outside is ridiculously hot then it is normal that the house does not cool off as much as you'd like. When it gets really really hot outside, IT just does not have the ability to cool quite as much. Because AC works on the principle of removing heat from the air, intead of cooling the air. When the air is superheated, the compressor can only remove X amount of heat per cubic foot of air circulated through the machine.
If you can handle it i would just chill. if it is too hot then get a bigger compressor/blower or a secondary unit for days when it is just to hot.

Good Luck!!

Dan
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

Let me start by saying that i am a licensed air conditioning contractor.

House or apt??

House: Call the same company back that you paid the first time and tell them it still isn't working and something is obviously wrong with it, please send someone different.

Apt: Tell manager that the lazy assed maint. man didn't do a damn thing about your a/c problem and you want them to send out an LICENSED a/c contractor to fix it.;)

Possible problems
Low on refrigerant, dirty evaporator coil, bad valves in compressor, restriction in capillary tubes, bad/stuck txv. As you see it can be many different things or a combination of several. You should be able to maintain about a 20 degree split between the room temperature and the air coming out of the grill. Also, your a/c unit at a minimum should be able to keep your house at least 20 degrees cooler than the outside temp. But not when the outside temp is around 70:D It ain't a refrigerator.;)

Edit to add first part.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

You can have good pressure, but the valves in the compressor system are not working right. That way the system has pressure, but the compressor is not actually pumping freon to the attic unit. Check in the attic to see if the large line comming out of the unit is cold to the touch. Do the same to the outside unit. It should be cool, and swetting if it is humid outside. If that checks out, your upstairs coils might be dirty, or the float switch has been tripped due to a full drip pan. I would think the A/C guy would have checked this, but alot of times they are lazy and will not go upstairs in a Hot attic.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Let me start by saying that i am a licensed air conditioning contractor.

House or apt??

House: Call the same company back that you paid the first time and tell them it still isn't working and something is obviously wrong with it, please send someone different.

Apt: Tell manager that the lazy assed maint. man didn't do a damn thing about your a/c problem and you want them to send out an LICENSED a/c contractor to fix it.;)

Possible problems
Low on refrigerant, dirty evaporator coil, bad valves in compressor, restriction in capillary tubes, bad/stuck txv. As you see it can be many different things or a combination of several. You should be able to maintain about a 20 degree split between the room temperature and the air coming out of the grill. Also, your a/c unit at a minimum should be able to keep your house at least 20 degrees cooler than the outside temp. But not when the outside temp is around 70:D It ain't a refrigerator.;)

Edit to add first part.B|

You're reply is most appreciated. It's an apt. The owner had an A/C guy out this AM and he checked it out and said pressure was fine. This unit is 4 yrs old and never had a problem in the hot summers here in Fla. A/C guy made a mess cleaning the interior unit but, as I said, the air flow was fine before and fine after.

I put a thermometer by the vent and showed him it read 70F (with interior air at 82F. outside is 87F). He said that was normal. I didn't buy it. I've never used a thermometer before, but I can tell it is not a cool as before.

Question. If there was a bad compressor valve, would it be making some sort of noise?

Don't know if the guy this AM was licensed A/C contractor or not but regardless, it needs ...something.

jen
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".