buggsyboo

Air lock? or not?

I am looking to get a new canopy next summer...I have heard that airlock canopies are more stable than non but still very responsive. I really like the Icarus canopies...Currantly jumping a safire 2 129.
I have put a few jumps on the Crossfire 2 129 (barrowed) the website says its closed nosed...but it doesnt specifically state "air lock" so whats the deal???:S is closed nose just another wording? And if not what are the benifits of both??

Thanks

I only know of 2 airlock canopy types, one is the PD vengance which i thionk is not made anymore and anither is called a jedi.

The crossfire is a great canopy but it is not airlocked, nor does it need to be.

I can personally recommend the crossfire as I did ove 800 jumps on one, the openings are sweeeeet and they can be flown either conservatively (I won a classic accuracy competition on mine) and aggresively (swooping).

At your level you would have to be conservative, but the crossfire would suit you for many jumps to come.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

whats the deal???Crazy is closed nose just another wording?

A restricted nose and having airlocks has no connection with each other.

If you have seen a picture of e.g. a Parafoil and e.g. FX you can see what is the difference between open nose and a closed nose canopy.

There are multiple Airlocked canopies out there. The first was the Jedei which there were over 1000 of those made in various versions, then came the Samuari. Brian Germain then released the Lotus which is a intermediate style canopy. PD started making the Vengence with the Airlocks under licence also. There are also some prototypes of things like the Senesi out there too.

I've got 250 jumps on a Jedei 136 and 650 on my Sam 136. I like the way the canopy flies, the airlocks are nice if I hit some unexpected turbulence but I won't jump in conditions specifically since I have airlocks that I wouldn't jump with another canopy. In 900 jumps on Airlocks I've had to chop the canopy once on the ground since I could not get it to deflate in high winds and it was dragging me. Other then that it deflates slower then other canopies but its usually manageable with an additional minute or two of effort.

Airlocks do pack larger then non-airlocked canopies, - a 150 packs like a 160 would, a 136 packs like a 145 would.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I talked to a few people with the PD vengance. I've been told that you can ask PD and they will make one for you. Reviews were very good.

A local jumper has a samurai and I think he's chopped it 3 times now because of bad openings. I've spoken to a few others who had samurai's and they did compliment it on flying through turbulence but generally said it didn't fly as nicely as some other designs.

I know this is all second hand info but I did do a lot of reading on the subject. While I think the airlock is a great idea I'd favour a canopy that flies the way I want it to rather than whether it has this technology integrated.

-Michael

i have a big ari sportz lotus (170) with about 250 jumps on it now. i like it a lot, very stable in turbulence but like phree says, that's not a license to go jump when you wouldn't do it with a normal canopy.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

so I understand what an airlock is and how it works now...after reading that article. My next question is what do they mean by a closed nose canopy? I haven't been able to find any articles on description, pros, and cons of closed nose.
Also, what are the Air locked canopies on the market right now?

The PD Velocity is an example of a canopy that has a largely closed nose. The objective of moving the nose openings to the bottom and making them smaller, is it improves airflow over the canopy. When the cells fully inflate turbulent air forms in front of the openings. By keeping this turbulence towards the bottom it helps with lift and consistency throughout various flight modes. The faster the canopy flies the more pronounced the problem can become. Hence, seeing it on more high performance canopies. If some of that explanation is incorrect please correct me as I have not been in fluid mechanics for a couple years.

Malcolm
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

Closed nose as on the Icarus Crossfire means that the nose is mostly closed. There's a picture of it somewhere on the Icarus webpage. The only completely closed nose canopy i know is the Paratec R.A.G.E, a combination of an airlock and a guidance sheet from the inlets towards the leading edge (nose). Wanna know more about it, read more at www.paratec.de.

Product Info RAGE warning - PDF link
The R.A.G.E. principle warning - PDF link
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I'm the one who chopped the Samurai - and it's only twice, not 3, early this season, when it was new to me. Both chops were due to violent turning as soon as the canopy got out the bag - probably due to asymmetrical brake line stows. I am now more careful when stowing the brakes, and pack it more carefully than my old sabre2, and haven't had any problems with it since.

The samurai opens fast, but smooth. Like no snivel. I really like the way it opens - a really fast, even deceleration.

As far as flying goes - It seems to ride turbulence way better than my old Sabre2 did. And it has a ton of flare.

Brian also makes a lotus which would be like a Sabre2 but better.
CSPA D-1046 TI Coach2 RiggerA JM SSI SSE GCI EJR Canadian 102-way record holder
bard.ca

Airlocks are made of a piece of fabric sewn at the bottom of the intake (nose) and extending at 30-45 degrees or so inside the half cells for about 2-3 feet. They are as wide as the half cell and get flush with the top. It is made like a rackoon trap moving part. It lets the air get in but when the parachute is under pressure, the air inside the canopy pressurized that airlock which locks the air inside making that way a canopy less prone to a sudden deflation in case of turbulences.
Vengeance, Jedi and Samourai canopies have them. It was designed by Brian Germain.
The Icarus Crossfire 2 has the cell intake partially closed but they are not airlocks and do not work like airlocks.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I talked to a few people with the PD vengance. I've been told that you can ask PD and they will make one for you. Reviews were very good.

A local jumper has a samurai and I think he's chopped it 3 times now because of bad openings.

Samurais open wonderfully. Like any elliptical things will get exciting if you have bad body position when you open or don't deal with issues promptly, but they're not like Stilettos.

They fly fine too.