skisurfer

Correct Storage

Hey All :)Can anyone just give me some small advice on what is the best way to store your rig, to keep it in its best condition when its not in use! (just threw the week etc)! Examples such as, Leaving unpacked, Packed? Standing it upright on its BOC, Hanging from the Harness Shoulders, Lieing it Face down, or back down? Just that my Rig is in EXCELLENT condition and i want to keep it that way!! Thanks All ;)
Happy Safe Jumping .. BIG BLUE ONES

Although others will reply with excellent suggestions, location of storage is just as important, or maybe even moreso than storage orientation. i.e. Don't use the car trunk (high temperatures degrades nylon faster) or unheated winter storage (potentially damages AAD/battery), bottom shelf in a damp flood-prone basement, etc.
;)

How to store your rig:

If you don't use it for several months: Open main and reserve
If you don't use it for several weeks: open just your main
If you don't use it during the week keep it packed or if the main is unpacked, pack it few days before resuming jumping
If your risers are equiped with anti-twist tubing (metal or plastic) don't hang it up using harness shoulders.
At all time, keep your rig preferably in a cool, dark and not humid place (65 degrees F at 72% of relative humidity). Avoid absolutely direct fluorescent lighting because of the UV. Put everything in a cotton bag to let the humidity go and to be protected against the dust.
I understand it's not always easy to comply with those figures.
More generally, I would say that you keep your parachute system at about the same confort zone than a human body (temperature between 65 F and 75 F (or 18 C and 23 C), relative humidity between 65% and 75%). Take care of your parachute system and it will take care of you.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Interesting info to keep in mind--

For Canadian winter layovers, if you're just getting the reserve repacked after a 4 to 6 month winter storage, most of us Canadians don't bother opening the reserve. However, the Canadian reserve repack cycle is 6 months, and I guess if we weren't going to use the rig for 1 year, pulling the reserve is probably a good idea to prevent it from becoming next Christmas' fruitcake.

Many of us dare to jump a main that's been packed 6 months, but it will generally snivel longer, so don't go doing a bigway outer slot with a 2000-2500 foot pull, on a rig that's not been jumped or repacked for 4 months....

Although hanging has its benefits, I think I understand why some riggers don't recommend hanging long-term (months of non-use): I think it has the potential to distort the hard housings for the cutaway cord, potentially pinching it, especially if the housings are plastic and would slowly distort under the weight of a harness hanging for many months. This is probably not a risk to most hard housings or tubings that go over the hanging part, but this appears a nonzero risk... I agree about the bag idea (the cotton suggestion sounds a good idea) to protect it from light and dust, as well as the occasional shufflng that it might have (especially in a closet that's used frequently), and lying it flat on its backpad probably minimizes sharp pressure/stresspoints on the rig. (That said, if it's in a basement, hanging probably is safer than a basement floor due to flood risk -- so your environmental risk might force a specific storage method)

Another thing I've seen done:
Even if you leave the reserve packed over the winter, and the main packed, at least pull the pilot chute out to lessen the long term stress on the spandex.
(I can't vouch for how effective it is but it seems reasonable.)

Soooo...here's what I've been told... and it pretty much echo's what has been said in the thread... cool and dry storage away from dust/light. I live in Northern Cali, so..thankfully we dont really have an "off" season/just days that it would be better to NOT jump! B| On the "NOT" jumping days I will either store the rig packed and then in a small rolling suitcase(like those for carry on to airline flights) so that if I do need to move it around I can do so with relative ease and with out exposing the rig to light/dust. The other way I'll store my rig, I borrowed the idea from my local rigger... and that is to store the main flaked/semi folded in a plastic container with lid, in a cool/dry place. Both methods avoid light/dust with a minimal amount of rub against the container or main during movement. A month doesnt go by that Im not jumping at least once so my reserve doesnt ususally see the light of day until reserve repack time. Thanks for all the input.. was kinda wondering what other people did.

If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

Because the weight of the rig (16-25 pounds or more) can change the shape of the anti twist tubing located directly above the harness shoulders. If the tubing is made of telephone wire guide (slightly extensible), an applied weight keeps them under tension when hanged up by the shoulders and a permanent deformation can occur plus possibly pulling on the tacking of that tubing. With plastic ones, I guess they can get flat. Mine are made of metal.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.