crotalus01

Linetwists on reserve

Never even looked at my handles so I guess the fact that I times I touch them multiple times on the way to altitude paid off :o...

Don't know how you learned.. But I was taught :
Look and grab R
Look and grab L
etc etc...

by not looking, you could grab something else...

Actually I was taught look grab, look grab, peel punch, peel punch. At the time however my hands went straight to the handles no problems (in gloves no less). Maybe I just got lucky, but I do make it a habit to touch my handles multiple times before each jump so I think muscle memory may have played a role.
At any rate, I walked away from it with nothing more than a sore neck/back and some bruises :)

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Next cutaway,put your feet up on your ass and arch as you cutaway, not some time after. That helps keep you stable as you drop from your malfunctioned main. I've got about a 10-11 cutaways with no stability problems.

I also think less loaded canopies handle line twists better. Consider that when buying your reserve. Also, reserve tend to be docile 7 cells, which handle line twists better than 9 cell ellipticals.

I never grabbed anything else in 7 cutaways, didn't look: can't see my handles anyway :):D

I said that once, then the next chop i had i reached down and grabbed two handfulls of wings;) I was able to clear them and complete the ep's obviously but honestly had never thought of it till it happened. With my camera helmet i couldn't see my handles either.:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Excellent advice but just to clarify - I was spinning on my back with multiple broken lines and knew I was low. It was an immediate 1-2 punch right and left. No chance (or even thought) about arching hard, getting stable etc.
For as large a canopy as I (used to) jump it was a really hard and fast spinning mal. And I walked away :P:)

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Excellent advice but just to clarify - I was spinning on my back with multiple broken lines and knew I was low. It was an immediate 1-2 punch right and left. No chance (or even thought) about arching hard, getting stable etc.
For as large a canopy as I (used to) jump it was a really hard and fast spinning mal. And I walked away :P:)

Well done! You have saved your life. Just don't expect perfect reserve from a shity position.

I understand. My cutaways are all a 1-2 punch also. I do not "get stable." I don't waste a lot of time thinking, either. I've trained to have a good body position as I cutaway, not afterwards. Takes no extra time. When you cut away from a spinner, you leave on a tangent to the spin. There is some rotational momentum left with you. You may not be perfectly stable, but both feet on your ass and arching gives you the best chance of having the pilot chute go past your head instead of your feet.

That's just the way we trained ourselves when we transitioned to piggy back rigs. Yes, I am a dinosaur. :D

I don't konw if there is statistics about the subject of your question but I have had one really bad spinning malfunction which ended in a cut away. On purpose, I waited 2-3 seconds trying to get back flat on my belly before pulling my reserve ripcord but I was seemingly in an almost horizontal position on my left side (because of the left spin of the main) since I saw a white square (the reserve free bag with the reserve inside) going up from my right side. My reserve deployed beautifully without any twist. When TSOing a reserve, one of the test consists of intentionally do 3 full line twists on the reserve and pack it that way for an actual activation. If you look at the Skyhook video from UPT Vector web site you will see fast spinning malfunctions (forward and rearward) with reserve deployment by the Skyhook. Most of the time the reserve opens with no line twists or just one.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.