flyingferret

Geocaching?

Yep, I cache and hunt benchmarks, chase travelbugs, and am in the process of making my first cache and bug.

It has been posted before, but two years ago. If you are lost at this point:
On May 2nd, 2000 the first geocache was placed in Oregon. Today there are over 160,000 caches in over 200 countries. www.geocaching.com
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

We do it every once in a while. There is one down the bike path from my house and on at one of the ski resorts. Beyond that we will check if there is one in the area of where we are going hiking or road tripping and try to find it.

So far no cool toys, but it's still fun to play with the GPS. If you want to make it really hard, do it the old school way and get a USGS map, plot the coordinates, get your walking beads and hope for the best. ;)
Fly it like you stole it!

Yeah, if you try to find benchmarks, it is kind of like that. Most benchmarks were placed before GPS, and the later given scaled geocodes based on a USGS maps coords. So, geocachers try to find them and then post an accurate gedocode. Typically the scaled coords are +-300ft.
--

Yeah, if you try to find benchmarks, it is kind of like that. Most benchmarks were placed before GPS, and the later given scaled geocodes based on a USGS maps coords. So, geocachers try to find them and then post an accurate gedocode. Typically the scaled coords are +-300ft.

HAHA...I know all about the map coordinates being off. There was an adventure race last year where half the teams were unable to find one of the checkpoints due to a difference on the map vs. the GPS (which is how they set the checkpoint).
Fly it like you stole it!

Sweet! Glad you like it. I will reply and bump:)
Once you look around the site you end up curious and just have to try it. I love it on weekend with crappy jumping weather. The purpose is vague enough to have fun, but enough to get you outside and moving. Kinda like hanging out, exercise, and problem solving at once. I just think of it as modern pirate booty.
--

I've been doing it for a year with my Outdoors club at my highschool. Just checked before I went to Lost Prairie and there was one down near McGregor Lake. I plan on making a virtual one for the Monument at LP (anyone read it?) and Lang Brewery.

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.