weegegirl

Anyone have an Inspiron 6000?

What do you think? I need to buy a laptop and I want to do it in the next few days. The one I just built on the Dell site would run me $1,743. Some of the options I chose:

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 730 (1.60 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)

15.4 inch UltraSharp WSXGA+ LCD Panel

1GB Shared DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms

8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer write capability

80GB Hard Drive

Is this a good deal? Powerful laptop? Is there something better out there that you would recommend? Is there a cheaper way to get my hands on this?

I need it for work AND for video editing and crap. So I wanted to get something pretty decent. Help!

Dell refurbs are often a great deal. You can get the same hardware often cheaper that way, still with a full warranty.

Right now is a Inspiron 1600 with 1.6 g proc same screen and 512 ram and CDRW for $1000 US
Personally I like Dell or Toshiba's product and am not afraid to buy refurbished to save $$

Also if you currently have a laptop that is getting a bit slow, you can upgrade to a 7200 rpm harddrive and add memory, which will possibly give you 6 mo to a year more usage out of it.

Build your own computer. It will cost you much less then buying from Dell. Which means more money for Skydiving right.......... I am sure you know some very capable computer geeks at your drop zone. Most would be very willing to build a computer for you if you give them all the parts that they need and maybe like 50 bucks or something. You could Ideally build a decent computer for less then 1 grand. Of course this is all depending on what you want to use your computer for.

I built my gaming computer for 1,200 dollars it had 2.2ghz processor Nvidia Gforce 6200 graphics card, 2 gigs of RAM and 160Gigs of hard drive space. This only ran me 800 dollars the monitor was 400 (19" flat screen LCD). Granted the down side to this is that you won't have a warenty on your computer. Then again if your want a lop top then you might want to just order that from Dell because they are much harder to build.

The most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I'm from the government and I'm here to help’. ~Ronald Reagan

30,000,000 legal firearm owners killed no one yesterday.

well stupid question then.... can you do this with a laptop? i thought a laptop just kinda came as is. i had a friend build my desktop about 5 years ago.

i need this laptop for 40+ hours of my normal work each week.... mostly writing documents, some graphics work, etc. but i also want to be able to edit videos smoothly with premiere pro, edit photos, burn dvds, store music, etc.

i just got the sweet hookup with my new contract. starting next week i get to work 100% remotely... so, from the dropzone between jumps. hence, the need for a laptop asap.

$1,399 (add a 5 yr warranty), and I'd HIGHLY recommend:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7267815&type=product&id=1117177722061

I have the previous model and I love it. Plenty fast for gaming, video editing and everything else.

Good luck with it.

Those that have not jumped can not understand
Those that have jumped can not explain.

so, you want a laptop, but nowhere in your specifications do you mention why.

Do you just want a desktop replacement, that does not take up too much space, or is portability an issue?

I have done all of the things you mention on my little X300 with which I am very happy, but in buying that portability was the most important consideration.

If you just want a desktop replacement that can on occasion be moved, I say go for it :)
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

If you do buy a Dell use a coupon. Dell publishes daily coupons for there systems but they are vaguely advertised - basically you have to know they exsist. But plenty of websites list them. There is no catch but they are typically limited to a certain number of uses before they expire - so you have to be quick.

Try here: http://www.thetechzone.com/hotdeals.php

Just copy the coupon into the coupon block on the dell check out form. That easy.

D'Bo