funfall

Vector 2 safe at 120?

I just purchased a Vector 2 (dom 95) that appears to be in very good condition. I need a rig that will get me thru the next 100 or 200 jumps, while I demo mains, and look for a newer rig. I'm getting concerned about safety, after reading about freefly risks with this container (and other older ones). I don't want to stay belly down every jump, or worry about the consequences if I don't. Would simple barrel rolls, f & b flips, or tracking be anything to be concerned about? (velcro holding) Is it only higher speed maneuvers that should be avoided? (I've done a search, and read that freefly and "any acrobatics" may cause premature release.) Thanks for any advice.

I once said, and have been quoted a few times, that, "Ever since Free Fly started there's this notion that every rig designed prior is now obsolete."

Being pithy made the point get lost on some people, but of course, if you are doing free fly than you should have a rig designed from the ground up for that purpose.

But for what you want a rig for a V-2 in airworthy condition is fine. Think about the fact we jumped rigs for years that didn't even have riser covers. And we did long high speed dives straight down to big formations. We did loops, rolls, and sometimes got into mega funnels. And the rate of premature openings these days don't seem to me to be any less than ever.

I did a lot of AFF evaluation dives with a rig of the vintage you speak. The Velcro riser covers never stayed closed on that rig. I flushed a lot candidates down the drain right out the door which turned into wild tumbles. I spent a lot of time on my back letting AFF candidates chase me. And I've had them clawing all over me and my rig looking for my dummy handle in a panic as the hard deck was coming and their dream of being Instructors was fading. And it was all good.

A badly maintained rig, no matter if it's a new Wings or an old Wonderhog, is what's really dangerous . . .

NickD :)

You read one of mine obviously. Real freeflying and that rig is not good.

If the rig is in good condition, a few back flips etc, is probably just fine. I say probably because I'd do it.

Be sure the BOC is in great condition and holds the Pilot chute securely. Good and possibly additional velcro over the shoulders would be nice. Vector didn't exactly make it easy to change the hook over the shoulder so be sure the rigger can be creative and add it. It's not hard, but it won't be factory.

By acrobatics I meant fast layouts, head down high speed, stop on the back, then sit. multiple weedeaters, head down spins ... I've watched premature pilot chute launches on belly dives, simple sit dives, head down... but mostly sit.

Oh and Nick... straight down to formations often caused risers to come down to the elbows. Don't leave that part out. Also I've come across a LOT of people that go straight down at a pretty severe angle ;)

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Tracking, barrel rolls, and flips have been around for a whole lot longer than then Vector II. You may note their appearance in the AFF progression, which itself pre-dates the vector II. These maneuvers are safe.

When the Vector II and other older designs become a problem is in maneuvers where the airflow is sustained in an non-belly-to-earth position (I.E. sit-fly, head-down, back-fly) rather than a momentary change like a flip. If you intend to freefly, I would suggest a different rig.

As was mentioned above, a lot of jumpers who have never jumped older gear are a bit over-paranoid about the safety of that gear. It's kind of like a 17-year-old driver telling their 16-year-old friend that they're being an idiot for buying a car without airbags because those cars are "unsafe".

Yes, the older design is going to be more prone to premature openings (on flips/rolls, NOT while tracking), but the difference is incredibly small (though the risk is increased by poor packing, ill-fitting gear, or canopy/container size mismatch, which I tend to see a lot of when people buy old containers). If you put a 170 into a Vector II originally designed for a 220, you're adding significant risk of premature openings. If it was built for somebody who was 6' and you're 5'8", you're adding more. And yes, an older design is going to be quite a lot more prone to bad shit if you're doing head-down. purchase and jump accoringly.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Hey,

I jump a Vector2...

If you're doing solos or with an instructor floating at some distance away from you, I think basic barrel rolls and flips are okay to get through AFF. In these, the risk is mostly to yourself rather than others -- i.e. risks to yourself in a preemie but if you pay lots of attention to the upkeep of your rig, I think it's very unlikely if you're just merely doing AFF-qualifying rolls, rather than high-speed stuff such as freefly.

May be worth verifying with an on-dropzone rigger to see if the pin covers are secure enough, and the bridle secure enough, the PC secure enough in the pouch, and the velcro's good. I got my rig checked at the factory and velcro replaced. I got a pin cover flap lengthened slightly for better security, since one of them was way too loose.

A low-jump Vector2 is pretty safe overall, especially if a little attention is paid to it...