Rebecca

The helpful household suggestion thread

If it doesn't stick and it's supposed to--Duct Tape

Hey....wait a minute....this isn't what someone (I'm not mentioning any names) told me duct tape was for. :$
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Anybody have a way to remove Superglue from a wood counter top?

DON'T USE SUPER GLUE REMOVER! It will take off the finish of your counter top. Don't use Fornby's unless you plan to refinish the ENTIRE top.
The best way to do it is to allow it to dry completely, which happened even before this was typed.
Then take an exacto knife and carefully find an edge to the bit of glue, and it will pop off.
Just careful place the knife between the edge of the glue and the counter top.
Believe me, I had to remove it from someones very expensive violin one time, and this was the ONLY way to do it, without destroying the finish on the entire top of the instrument.
Why they had ever used super glue was beyond me

I've always heard that acetone (fingernail polish remover) would dissolve superglue. I have no idea what it would do to the finish of the wood, though...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I've always heard that acetone (fingernail polish remover) would dissolve superglue. I have no idea what it would do to the finish of the wood, though...

It will take off any finish faster than you can say "ah shit!" and it's really really thin, so it will spread further than you wanted it to, and take off LOTS more than you thought it would. If you put it on a rag and try to rub with it, it will soften up whatever surface you are rubbing and pieces of lint from the rag wiil be stuck in the old finish.
I've done LOTS of furniture repair and restoration, and I was a violin/guitar maker for 26 years, doing all kinds of repair for that time, so I've had my share of dissolvent experience.
The rule of thumb in removing an unknown substance on an instrument finish is ALWAYS start out with the LEAST damaging method and work your way up to the MOST.
Acetone is the most.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

It will take off any finish faster than you can say "ah shit!" and it's really really thin, so it will spread further than you wanted it to, and take off LOTS more than you thought it would. If you put it on a rag and try to rub with it, it will soften up whatever surface you are rubbing and pieces of lint from the rag wiil be stuck in the old finish.
I've done LOTS of furniture repair and restoration, and I was a violin/guitar maker for 26 years, doing all kinds of repair for that time, so I've had my share of dissolvent experience.
The rule of thumb in removing an unknown substance on an instrument finish is ALWAYS start out with the LEAST damaging method and work your way up to the MOST.
Acetone is the most.

Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't going to use acetone on it for the reasons you stated. Hope it works.

If you have vinyl floors, plain ol' vinegar diluted in water works well. That is actually the recommendation from the flooring subcontractor we use at work. If you have scuff marks from shoes on the floor, that Mr Clear magic eraser works wonders.

I got latex paint on the carpet over the weekend and tried out some "krud kleaner" I found at Wal-Mart. That stuff was amazing, I barely had to rub and I think the bottle only cost me $1.88! It probably works on other stuff too.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Normally peanut butter will also work gum out if it's too ingrained in the fabric for the freezing thing to work, or if it's carpet.

Of course, then you have to get the peanut butter out...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

this is kind of ridiculous, but does anyone have any suggestions of getting all the stringy things off of corn on the cob when you're cleaning it?
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

I just tried using vinegar to clean out a coffee maker and it totally works!

Fill your coffeemaker with a solution of 1/4 vinegar and the rest water. Run the coffeemaker (without a filter). Turn off, let cool, run the mixture through again. Then run it twice with clear water. Clean the filter basket and the carafe, and voila! No more skunky tasting coffee.

This post provided for the benefit of coffee drinkers. Coffee whuffos (© skybytch) need not apply.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke