windcatcher

what are your ideas, opinions, etc on marriage???

While reading my textbook "Marriage and Families: Intimacy, Diversity, and Strengths," I became curious as to what opinions the majority of you hold.

A lot of people today do not see the value of marriage or the seriousness of it; it's just something to do nowadays, without any long term commitment in mind.
One thing I was wondering, for those of you who aren't religious, why you would want to get married, especially since it's often seen as a religious ceremony.
What are the benefits of marrying, not marrying?

These questions are not intended to ostracize those for or against marriage; I simply want to gain a better perspective on marriage today, especially if I am considering becoming a licensed counselor in this area
:)

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I hear there's some nice legal and financial benefits...
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

oops, I didn't think about the SC aspect. But I don't want to hear a bunch of debating and arguing over marriage taxes, same-sex unions, common law marriage requirements,etc. :S I just want to stick with hearing why you think marriage is a good idea or not; crap I can already see this getting moved! >:(:DB|

what does me not wanting to get married have to do with all that stuff? -->

marriage taxes, same-sex unions, common law marriage requirements,etc.

"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

what does me not wanting to get married have to do with all that stuff? -->

marriage taxes, same-sex unions, common law marriage requirements,etc.

Im just saying it will probably end up in SC and all of those topics underneath my one post:S:P

it's just something to do nowadays, without any long term commitment in mind.

Maybe to some people. But I would say the majority of people do get married thinking it will last forever. It does't always happen that way. Much like one exits an airplane thinking he/she will land safely.
IMO, the more marriage is put on a pedestal at the society level, the more you are going to see failed marriages. Peer-pressure is not a very good recipe for pretty much any action.
Benefits: fiscal/insurance/discounted Red Carpet card for the spouse.
The rest is personal.
I'll write a book when I get to #4. I'm halfway there, so be patient, and check back with me in a couple of years.:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

it's just something to do nowadays, without any long term commitment in mind.

Marriage may be ok, but stay away from tattoos. Tattoos are so permanent. :)

Marriage devolves your social skills. You have to be nice if there is no contract.

I like to say, "I'll stay with you as long as we are nice to each other." It makes good people happy, moody people nervous, and the liars just walk away.

I HIGHLY recommend it, once you are mature enough "not to fuck it up".

At 20 I wasn't, at 30 I wasn't at 40 I wasn't, now I think I am.

My wife (although not a jumper) is GREAT, we have TONS of fun.

For example, our favorite quote about marrige is:

"Marrige is when you finally meet someone you want to annoy for the rest of your life" :P

But we are probably a corner case, we both got married (first time for both of us) at 50 and neither one of us had baggage.

Seriously

I was married for 10 years... the actual union lasted about 5, but the thought of being a statistic and being a failure made me hold on for 5 more years. After my marriage I vowed it would never happen again... I even bought a book titled "Marriage and How to Avoid It." :P

In retrospect, I married much too young. I fell prey to societal pressures that my role was to be a wife and mother (mind you I grew up in Utah). I married for all the wrong reasons.... [:/] I married before I knew what love and relationships are truly all about.

Now, having grown and matured (a lil bit), marriage has taken on a whole new meaning.... It's more than just a legal vow, it's a binding of souls. A committment to share my life/not dedicate my life. I would not walk blindly into another marriage, it means much more to me - it would be a lifelong commitment. Although I'm religious the ceremony would not have to be.... my vow is not to God, my vow is to my Love.

g

Raddest ho this side of Jersey #1 - rest in peace brother
Beth lost her cherry and I missed it
.... you want access to it, but you don't want to break it.

marriage... a great way for one person to tell the other... I love you until boredom we part....

A freakin men sistah.

Marriage is not for everyone and I'm part of that everyone that it's not for. I did it once, won't ever do it again.

The only benefit I saw from it was saving on automobile insurance, that's it.

why you would want to get married, especially since it's often seen as a religious ceremony.

You obviously have not been in the South. There are many non-religious ceremonies. At the Court House, in living rooms, various other locales. ;):ph34r::P:)
Seriously though I know what you are talking about.

Benefits of being married is that you can carry your s.o. on a health plan. For some reason Gay couples although not married can do this. Never understood that.
Tax advantages, If both are responsible it can bring a good credit rating.(although sometimes the woman is left out for some reason)

Not marrying: There is not a legally binding contract which holds you together. I see many people stay married out of the inconvenience a divorce will bring. Not sure of many other benefits.

Many are too quick to rush into marriage these days just for the sake of being married.

I believe in my case I am too cautious after a failed first marriage. I am leary of going through that whole scenario again.

My small take. Oh and I do not consider my first Marriage True because it was not done under the Church.

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

Marriage gets two thumbs up in my book. My wife and I have been together for 7 years married for 3 and I can still say she's my best friend and I can't think of anyone else I'd rather hang out with on a Saturday night. Even if it is just sitting at home.

Joe.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

Some great one liners. Still waiting for the famous ""For once you have tasted marriage you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the p...y, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
Any other one liners I have missed?

BTW: I jump with an RSL.:|

Oh, and I'd have lunch with Walt as well.:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

#1 wedding and divorce: insecurity
#2 wedding and divorce: Vegas (seemed like a good idea at the time)

Still have most of my furniture and the new ex-husband there. Lots of reasons for why? But would love for anyone to help me move my stuff back to Texas! How much is a truck from Vegas to Austin going for nowadays?

Actually I am on the catch and release program......