waltappel

Injured raccoon

Awesome! B|

Thanks Walt, for sharing that with us. It has been a pretty cool story to follow. Glad everything turned out alright.

Nick

Thanks. I just got off the phone with a really nice lady that rehabs raccoons. She's going to clean out the enclosure and call me to bring her over.

I'm pretty sure this little girl is going to be ok and I'm grateful to everyone who has given advice and encouragement.

The vet said 2 weeks of R&R ought to have her ready for release where I found her.

Walt

Pretty cool of you to do this for the little bitch, Walt. I actually have been looking for your updates on the Coon every day since you started this thread. Thanks for the update. Let us know when she is released. My guess is she will keep coming back to the same spot for food, so you will get to see her heal.

Hail Walt... The "Coonboy". :D:D:D

AWWWW she got a kewt PINK bandage.....Maybe we can make her an honarary Pink Mafia Sister... HEY... I wonder if Mike Forsythe would let me use the Doggie Tandem rig:P

Honorary Pink Mafia Sister? That sounds pretty cool. As for the tandem though, you'll want to pass on that idea. She is a vicious little bitch that would gladly rip your eyeballs out with her teeth. That's no exaggerration--she's a mean one. Cute though, she really is a cutie. Now that I think about it, kind of reminds me of an old girlfriend....

Walt

Pretty cool of you to do this for the little bitch, Walt. I actually have been looking for your updates on the Coon every day since you started this thread. Thanks for the update. Let us know when she is released. My guess is she will keep coming back to the same spot for food, so you will get to see her heal.

Thanks. After dropping off at rehab, I'm going to totally ignore the little bitch until it's time to release her. I'm sure she will stay around here. Nothing like an easy meal, from a raccoon's point of view.

Walt

Thanks. After dropping off at rehab, I'm going to totally ignore the little bitch until it's time to release her. I'm sure she will stay around here. Nothing like an easy meal, from a raccoon's point of view.

Walt

Good idea, maybe she'll forget about the hell you put her through and not rip your juglar vein out with her teeth. :ph34r:

Walt, you rock. I sure hope she goes back to pissing people off -- you worked hard for that, and so did she!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Walt, you rock. I sure hope she goes back to pissing people off -- you worked hard for that, and so did she!

Wendy W.

Thanks Wendy. I'm sure she'll go back to pissing people of ASAP--and so will I!!!:D:D:D

After reading some of my posts in Speakers Corner, who would guess that I have such a soft spot for animals?!:):$

Walt

p.s. You rock too, Wendy!

Walt,

I've not said anything in this thread until now, because thanks to RL, there's been nothing I could add; but thanks for caring for one of out furry fiends (spelling intentional).

Thankyou for that. And yes, RhondaLea is a truly tough act to follow.

Great spelling--you hit it dead on!:D:D:D

Walt

We've had two gray rats living in our backyard, eating leaves from potted plants, chewing on chairs etc. We got some live traps, trapped them, and let them go in a canyon a few miles from here. They were cute little buggers, about the healthiest rats I've ever seen (apart from the lab rats we used to have.) One looked pregnant, so looks like I trapped her just in time.

We've had two gray rats living in our backyard, eating leaves from potted plants, chewing on chairs etc. We got some live traps, trapped them, and let them go in a canyon a few miles from here. They were cute little buggers, about the healthiest rats I've ever seen (apart from the lab rats we used to have.) One looked pregnant, so looks like I trapped her just in time.

Well done!

edit to add:
With all the support and good vibes I've seen in this thread, I must say that among my skydiving family, I am in very, very good company and I thank you all for that.

Walt

I just found out that where I live, it is illegal to trap and release a squirrel, but you can legally kill them. :S

> just found out that where I live, it is illegal to trap and release a
> squirrel, but you can legally kill them.

Would it be illegal to create a device that fires them into the air, intending to kill them, but always fails because the squirrel lands in a bush?

>Some folks over in Speakers Corner may not agree with that, but thankyou.

Oh, come now! There are a lot of the same people over there. And after they complimented you on being nice to animals, they could discuss which weapon would do the best job of blowing the animal into oblivion.

Would it be illegal to create a device that fires them into the air, intending to kill them, but always fails because the squirrel lands in a bush?

Apparently so (but of course, I'm no lawyer). I believe the squirrel would actually have to die. I'd probably have to strap a bomb to him and fling him at my neighbor to be legal. Of course if the squirrel survived, he'd be sent to Gitmo. :ph34r:

Wait, that would be illegally relocating him. Better to just shoot him in the head. It's easier and I wouldn't have to risk getting locked up for illegal squirrel re-locating. :ph34r:

He's in the trap and his new temporary residence is in my bathtub, where my cat can't get to him.

Dude, that's a mighty sinister looking raccoon you've got there. Your cat probably wouldn't stand a chance against that thing.

My cat hates raccoons. I have seen her run toward one in a threatening way outdoors. Fortunately, the raccoon ran up a tree. Zoe (my cat) is ok with dogs and she just looks at armadillos kind of funny. Cats are a different story, though. She hates all other cats. I think she views raccoons as being cats. Ironic, since they are more related to dogs and bears.

With all the hell this raccoon is raising, Zoe is really keeping her distance, so I don't even need to keep the door shut. It's kind of a relief because that raccoon really is a dangerous animal.

By the way, I haven't seen any armadillos for the past couple of nights, but when I do, I'll take pictures and post 'em.

Walt

Ok, I have temporarily sworn off my informal assault on BillyVance's title of, "Poster of the Coolest and Grossest that the internet has to Offer", but I must temporarily revert and post this (you'll need to scroll down to see the video):

clicky

By the way, I finally found a home on the web for some video of my cat Zoe, and the local grey squirrels. Here it is:

[drum roll, please!]
clicky

Walt

Walt,

I've not said anything in this thread until now, because thanks to RL, there's been nothing I could add; but thanks for caring for one of our furry fiends (spelling intentional).

Flattery'll get you everywhere, Jack. Hug Lynn for me.

I've been the supporting actress in too many sad scoonie stories. I'm hoping for a happy ending this time. You did good, Walt.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

After I brought the raccoon home from the vet today, she conked out. It's probably the first time since she got hurt that she has actually been able to sleep comfortably.

Unbelievably, she didn't take the bandage off after shaking off the effects of the anesthesia.

The vet called and gave me the name and phone number of a local raccoon rescue/rehab person. I got home a few minutes ago after dropping her off.

It was kind of humbling. These folks have made their home into RACOON CENTRAL. It's like they are the ultimate raccoon foster parents. They are truly wonderful people.

They have 4 raccoons freely wandering around the house, a large raccoon enclosure indoors, and a "romper room" for raccoons. They also have an awesome enclosure outdoors for raccoons. I think they have 20 or so raccoons currently and I got the feeling that 20 raccoons is pretty typical.

These are really the kind of people that make the world a better place. Especially for me! Because of them, I'm going to be to sleep really well tonight for the first time in nearly a week. There is no doubt in my mind that the raccoon is in really good hands.

I'm pretty much going to ignore the raccoon until they call me to let me know she is ready for release. When I do release her, I'll take pictures and give y'all an update.

It will be sooooooooooooooo nice being able to sleep tonight!

Meanwhile, here is a picture of her in the "romper room".

Walt

p.s. After I get some sleep, I'll post info about the vet. I've been taking my cat to him for a while and he has a really big heart. His name is Larry White and he owns Briarcrest Veterinary Clinic in west Houston. He really deserves some mention and I'll do that soon.