schosup

Jumpsuits

Greetings:)Now that I've a few more jumps from buying my first and only suit i realise i made a mistake in suit choice.( Symbi RW suit)
At 200lbs I'm 'hugging the ball' but still dropping like the proverbiale anvil!
Having looked at some of the sites, i've yet to see anything that catches my eye.
I'm at a crossroads! I like baggy and colourfull (high drag), but also flying with mates ( when I can stay with them ) so I presume another suit, with slower fall rate.
Is there anywhere that does a Hybrid?

a moment of searching the forums or stating what it is you need would be helpful too.

Most of my searches have turned up people who want to fall faster, or are asking how necessary a suit is.

What about those of us who fall like a rock? With a lot of effort in my 1980's style baggy jumpsuit, I can slow myself down to the low 120's. If I'm doing a solo and just want to fall stable, I'm well into the 130's according to my protrack.

I think a better suit would help me out. I'm a fan of tonysuits, but they want me to specify the material for every aspect of my suit and I'm overwhelmed.

And letting me pick the colors from an on-line pallet scares me. Where are the people who will look at me or my measurements, and figure out a suit that will be appropriate?

Where are the people who will look at me or my measurements, and figure out a suit that will be appropriate?

I'm sure you're not asking for this, but just so that people reading will understand.

There is no suit that will fly for you. If you fall fast, you have to learn how to fly your body flatter; not hugging the ball, just using your surfaces. Learn to be comfortable with someone at your rate, then work yourself down to slower-falling people. It takes practice; it's not a magic bullet like weights for a light person (which aren't really magic, but are a purely mechanical thing).

You can increase your range. And you can choose who you jump with. Do both.

That said, talk to someone at your DZ who's experienced; shaped like you, and who does RW (or whatever you want to do). Get their specific advice, and make it clear to them that you're not looking for the suit to do the flying.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What Wendy said.
Stop hugging the ball.
See if someone can teach you to fly in the mantis and slightly de-arch to slow yourself down first and your suit "may" be alright.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Fair point, I guess you can get hung up on kit and miss the point of what its all about.
As I approach the end of my career, I should be able to devote more time to the sport. ( Hence the low jump numbers versus time in sport.)
Still, thanks for your thoughts.

I just want to echo what some others have said. It's primarily about flying technique the jumpsuit just helps things. Over the summer this year I have been up quite a bit in weight (i blame a really long winter) and I haven't had to change suits. Just have to "fly" a little slower sometimes. No doubt having the right gear for the situation makes a difference, but flying your body is much more important.

The beachball thing doesn't work, I wish people would stop teaching that. If you want to go up you need to spread out your surface area, legs and arms out (supermanish) works much better!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Get their specific advice, and make it clear to them that you're not looking for the suit to do the flying.

Thanks Wendy, I probably am hoping for the suit to do too much.

But a custom jumpsuit seems like something that will help (not solve!) the speed issues, as opposed to the free suit I currently have. And the pricerange for basic suits seems like it's worth it to buy new rather than trying to find a used suit that's close but not quite right.

It just seems like there are so many decisions to make that I'm not prepared to make. Looking again, it doesn't look like tony suits has quite as many options about fabrics as they used to. But still, size of grips? Inseem grips? Booties? Cuffs and swoop cords?

And god forbid I pick colors that look good on the computer screen but turn out to be atrocious.

As I said, it just seems a little overwhelming.