Unstable

Any Experience with a NEW Centarus container?

I am looking to buy a new container here shortly for use as an accuracy rig, and I'm torn between another Racer2K3 and a Centarus. both are excellent containers which can be tailored to accuracy.

Does anyone have any experience with a new or newer Centarus Container? The only one's I've seen were early 1990's... Does anyone have any pictures of a Centarus container, perhaps set up for Accuracy? Is this a comfortable rig? Durable?

Any help would be appreciated... Thanks!
=========Shaun ==========

Contact the Knights or Skydive Ricks, most of the members of the accuracy team have new Centarus containers. The ones I was seeing were set up for the 250+ main and a much smaller reserve. They seemed to look nice for the purpose they were built for.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Does anyone have any experience with a new or newer Centarus Container? The only one's I've seen were early 1990's...

I looked on their web site and the current version seems to be the same design as mine, from the 90's. I got it when they first started designing them for smaller canopies, and I gave them some feedback on the design, some of which they used. The reserve has a top flap that tucks into a slot on the next flap, which is how many rigs are designed now. The main flap has a "walrus tooth" type closure. They made a larger "tooth" at my request so that it was more secure. Mine has never come open during any kind of skydiving. The riser cover tuck tabs have worked well too.

Does anyone have any experience with a new or newer Centarus Container? The only one's I've seen were early 1990's...

I looked on their web site and the current version seems to be the same design as mine, from the 90's. I got it when they first started designing them for smaller canopies, and I gave them some feedback on the design, some of which they used. The reserve has a top flap that tucks into a slot on the next flap, which is how many rigs are designed now. The main flap has a "walrus tooth" type closure. They made a larger "tooth" at my request so that it was more secure. Mine has never come open during any kind of skydiving. The riser cover tuck tabs have worked well too.

Thanks Gary.

Is it a durable rig? 1000 Denier Cordura? Does the harness flex with you? How does it feel on your back? Do you have the handles above or below the chest strap?

Sorry for the Questions - but I appreciate the help. :)

Is it a durable rig? 1000 Denier Cordura?

Yes, and yes.

Does the harness flex with you? How does it feel on your back?

I got the 4 ring geometry option. It was only $50 extra at the time (but they might have wised up since then!) Very comfortable all around, and the interesting thing is that I have never felt the need for a bungie cord between the leg straps.

Do you have the handles above or below the chest strap?

Below.

I jump a Centaurus, and I love it. Was a bit skeptical when I bought it, because I couldn't find that much info. on it. For me, I have the container with a 190 main, 218 reserve. It's a very comfortable rig for me, and it feels secure. Although I don't know if it was just mine, or if they're all made like this, but mine came with about 1-2in of bridle exposed. If you're looking into freeflying, make sure you install a bridle cover.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

Right now the only pictures I have. Will take some more and PM them to you in the near future if you like.

I have a relatively new container. When I bought it, there was under 200 jumps on it.

*Note the bridle cover in the second picture. I had to get this made before I jumped it, as there was so much bridle exposed, I was worried about even doing flips and barrel rolls.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

*Note the bridle cover in the second picture. I had to get this made before I jumped it, as there was so much bridle exposed, I was worried about even doing flips and barrel rolls.

OK, now I know what you are talking about. It has been so long since I got mine that I forgot that the Velcro for the bridle took that route. I changed mine immediately so that the bridle went way up under the flap and then exited right at the corner, so only an inch is exposed. You actually don't even need any Velcro, but just need to route it well. This is similar to the older Javelins, in that people just used what was there.

Hey, long time past but this is for anyone who was following this thread with any degree of interest - I called and had a nice talk with the Folks at NAA and they sent a few pics of a Centarus with an Eagle reserve and parafoil 252 Mail - I hope this helps!

After all the homework, I went ahead and ordered an New Racer 2K3 for an accuracy rig - but a Centarus would provide just as good of a platform IMHO -

As much money as you have, you just pay list price for a RI Classic. ***

I actually don't have that much money at all - I'm a college kid - and you have a good point. As far as I can tell, Jumpshack, RI, and NAA are the companies to talk to for Classic Accuracy - and I think a new Racer and new RI are about the same.

I had one back in the 80's and got rid of it because the handles were so high in the saddle.

It's an option, but almost all of them are in a normal configuration. I jumped a Strong Military hawk that had the high handles, and I really didn't care for it much at all.

yeah, but on the other hand, you'll never lose sight of your handles, cuz they are right next to your eyes !! plus mechanically its easier to put your strength into pulling some thing from above yopur nipples than below them ( lever action/fulcrum ? ) i had 2 ugly mals and it was a breez chopping and pulling, once again,,function or look cool !
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

plus mechanically its easier to put your strength into pulling some thing from above yopur nipples than below them ( lever action/fulcrum ? )

I'm not sure about that, although if it works for you, great. It's just my personal impression that handles up high are harder to move downwards. I don't know what everyone else thinks.

When trying to move handles downwards, one may be trying to transition from elbows down to elbows up high, to be able to push down. If the handles are low, one can more easily have elbows higher than hands and apply a strong push downwards.

For low handles, it is more like starting a push-up with one's hands, while for high handles, it is like doing a chin-up, and trying to chin-up even higher.

I agree with what you are saying,, maybe its psycho logic B|;)with me, but i tried different weights on a pull down weight bench and i can do more from the higher position,,probably has a lot to do with all of us having different lengths of arms/forearms and such.....as always get what most comfy for you !

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083