spoogela

Suunto T6

I had a suunto alti for a while, didn't like it for jumping at all so sold it again. The guy I sold it too bought a neptune later on, then lost that neptune so now jumps it again.

Why I don't like watches: they are generally slow to update (not made for freefalling), the numbers are too small for me to read in freefall at a glance, catch a bit of sunlight and I could hardly read it because of the glare. YMMV. I'll stick with my neptune :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I know they are a little more difficult and I jump a Suunto Vector, I was just wondering if anyone had info on the T6 model and if it was comparable to the vector. I use this mainly for turn initiation, but I do look at it for freefall also. Was the one you sold a T6 or another make?

Mine was the altimaster (like the vector), I jumped some other models too (more expansive ones) can't remember which ones though, and I have another brand alti watch lying around somewhere too that's way too slow to jump.

If you're ok with the vector you can look up the specs of the t6 and see if it updates fast enough (not too fast though then you can't read the numbers anymore in freefall :P), I think that would be the only concern, as several suunto models can be jumped.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yes of course they say that, that's common knowledge they don't want to get sued or anything. If you have one, you can jump it, it's legal in most countries if not all. I just don't like them for jumping, there are way better choices IMO. Most people I know with one have switched over to neptunes now, but the suuntos were there when they needed an alti for swooping. I would not recommend them to a newer jumper at all but for a TM, swooper etc, why not.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yes of course they say that, that's common knowledge they don't want to get sued or anything. If you have one, you can jump it, it's legal in most countries if not all.

This is probably correct but they may have other significant reasons such as lack of temp correction. Let's face it hiking up a mountainside the ambient temp probably doesn't change that fast. At 10K to ground level my altitrack probably goes through a fast 20C change. Although electronics in general are relatively stable who knows about something not designed or tested for those conditions?

-Michael

I would NOT recommend it to any jumpers. One of the main reasons is that you have to reset it to zero each time before getting on the plane. What about if you forget to do so?

So what? I have to zero my analog alti before each jump, too.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

I would NOT recommend it to any jumpers. One of the main reasons is that you have to reset it to zero each time before getting on the plane. What about if you forget to do so? It is NOT designed for Skydiving. That's all.

I have been using my Vector as my main alti for just over 3 years now and have nothing but good stuff to say. It updates more than quick enough for freefall and canopy use, and after comparison jumps with other altis, is very accurate.

The numbers are very small though, and did take some getting used to, so I certainly wouldn't recommend it for newer jumpers.

On the subject of zeroing, i do it once at the start of the jumping day, which is only a couple of buttons, and that's it for the day.

One thing that has happened to me a couple of times, is knocking it into time mode on exit - leaving me with the time, not alti. No worries though, i have eyes to spot the ground, then under canopy just put it back to alti.

Great peice of kit and i'll certainly by another one when this one goes pop. :)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I would NOT recommend it to any jumpers. One of the main reasons is that you have to reset it to zero each time before getting on the plane. What about if you forget to do so? It is NOT designed for Skydiving. That's all.

???

That's odd. You have to zero almost every altimeter on the market, except for some of the new fancy electronic ones. Skydivers have managed to survive decades with having to manually zero their altimeter at the start of each day.

Why do you have to zero it on every jump? I certainly don't.

I"m very happy with mine, it has lasted a long time and functioned well. I don't recomend them for newer jumpers, but they're perfectly adequate equipment.
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.