GARYC24

Floyd Rose guitar

Just wondering, anyone here played one, tuned one, etc?
May not be for me..I change tunings sometimes and this seems to be a possible hassle from what I have read.
(I want to get a electric guitar, probably choose a cheaper one and invest more into the sounds stuff, accessories, etc.)
They have cool website..
floydrose.com

Floyd Rose trems are great for a single tuning.

They are a pain in the ass to tune, as each change in tension will alter the balance of the floating bridge. This means you have to retune all the strings.

When I used one I'd tune thickest (most noticable tensors) strings. Instead of tuning each string perfectly I'd run through it a number of times (it'll change each time anyway, so why waste time with accuracy the first goes around). Each pass gets increasingly more accurate. Of course, once it's tuned it's tuned.

Until you break a string and the entire guitar goes out of tune....and then you learn by exactly how much you have to bend each string to put it in pitch based on which string broke and which string you're playing (dont attempt chords on it after a string breaks).

They are crap for multiple tunings. Better to get a fixed bridge or a locking system such as used on the Jeff Beck strats (locking tuning heads, ballbearings in the nut). Sorry, dont know the brand name of that system.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

Dude, go with an OLP. They are made by Ernie Ball and are their entry level versions of guitars like the Music Man. However, you can get pretty sweet and expensive too if you want. They have versions with the Floyd Rose equipment too.

I would put these guitars up against ANY in the same price range. In fact, I would put them up against most more expensive ones too. Amazing quality for the money.

Check them out! http://www.olpguitars.com/olp_guitars.asp

Ebay is a great source for them if you can't find a dealer close.

I own a few of them now and have had many!

DO NOT BUY ONE WITHOUT THE NUT LOCKS!
I dont even know if they make them withoug them anymore.

they can be a bitch to tune etc some models offer a lock on the trem system as well. thats good for when you aren't using the whammy bar or when you store it.

the deal is. when you put strings on they strecth until they sound dull. if you arent going to use the whammy bar in some outrageous haevy metal guitar lead I really dont see a benefit for it.

if you are soling etc and bending a note it will affect the other 5 strings to a small degree. so....be aware of that and make your decsiion.

when you change the strings on a FR trem you probably want to play with the whammy for a while to help hurry along the stretching etc. once you get the major stretching out of it most tuning problems can be fixed by the fine tuning knobs on the FR itself
My photos

My Videos

I know! haha
I play them alot (at the stores,Guitar Center)
I have an acoustic/elect Fender 12string.
I hate it, since I have playing the $1500-2500 Taylors.
6 string is Alvarez, very happy with it.
I plan on getting it tricked out, to improve action,
sounds good, action is bad.

Thanks all for response.
Floyd Rose is not my style..haha

They make floyds without the nut locks??

I thought that was the whole point, to clamp the strings at either end so they didnt shift under whammy abuse.

You can minimize unwanted flattening of the other strings by using decent springs (unless you backroute your trem and like it to float so you can do cool flutters - ahem *80s*)

I finally got so frustrated with the tuning issues on the floating Floyd Roses that I turned them all into non-floaters or bought new guitars. :)
I currently have a Peavey Wolfgang with a Floyd with a D-tuner on it, and I'm pretty much loving that guitar to death! I can't seem to get the D-tuner to work that way the manual describes (meaning I have to do some adjustments after pulling the D-tuner out to drop the E), but it's still pretty quick.
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

anyone having problems tuning a guitar with a floyd trem on it just isnt doing it right. at least 30 of my guitars have floyds on them and ive never had a problem with any of them. any guitars with a floyd and no locknut is most likely a cheapo guitar with a knock off licensed by floyd trem. this WILL go out of tune and WILL NOT work properly.

if the dreaded break a string and go out of tune bothers you, theres a little gadget that attaches from the claw to the trem in place of one of the springs which has adjuatable tension on both sides to hold the floating trem in a neutral position.adjust it tight and pop a string and it still floats neutral.

for the record, i only use 2 springs on my floyds. if you play dubbing the strings with a heavy right hand, you may want to set up with 3 springs.

heres how to get started with the 2 spring setup. start by adjusting the claw screws almost all the way in with about a quarter inch space between the claw and back of the cavity rout. should be about the right tension to start you in the ballpark to tune it. do slight adjustments until you get the guitar in tune with the trem floating level. tighter with the claw screws if its in tune but the trem is floating forward, and looser if its leaning back. you might try boiling the strings first also to take the temper out and stretch them. it helps alot. once you get used to floyds, theyre easy to deal with. i did luthier work for many years and have done hundreds if not a thousand floyd installs, recesses, etc in trem and non trem guitars. i still have about 50 pounds of floyd parts and a couple dozen original floyd trems laying around still in boxes new. need a part, i can always hook up a skydiving brother or sister.

Just wondering, anyone here played one, tuned one, etc?
May not be for me..I change tunings sometimes and this seems to be a possible hassle from what I have read.
(I want to get a electric guitar, probably choose a cheaper one and invest more into the sounds stuff, accessories, etc.)
They have cool website..
floydrose.com

Gary, I spent 27 years as a violin/guitar maker. Couldn't tell you how many sets of Floyd Rose trems, people asked me to REMOVE. Pain in the ass to tune, so no quick tuning on stage, and if you leave them loose so that you CAN quick tune, they ratttle like hell.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I still have at least one Floyd guitar lying around, the flutter thing works best with that.

I always liked having them when I shredded, nowadays I'm old and too lazy (although I've been known to lose it on occasion at a show).

I like my JB strat's trem, stays in tune as well as the Floyd but without the headaches.