flyangel2

Jet Blue aircraft having problems with landing gear

when the link breaks and gear extends all way down the cam inside nose gear center's the nose gear.. those other 747 are on ground with weight on nose gear it can t extend all way down so it can't center nose wheel.. also, those guys look like they are doing extrem turning / corrections. in old Hong Kong airport the had lot trick landings due to winds / steep approaches. you see that on those 747's there....

D'oh! :S Miiiiiiike!!! Got an explanation for this??? :D

note: I said if the link breaks and gear extends all way down it'll center. I haven t seen the jet blue airbus or photos of it so I have no idea what broke..... Airbus design won't center gear if strut extends all way down Boeing design gear will..

You need a way better photo than that....United had one of their aircraft land same way with gear twisted 90 degrees off I think it was a Airbus A318....it was about 8 months ago.. they've had AD issued by FAA due nose gear problems on Airbus Aircraft...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/22/airliner.emergency.ap/index.html

"It was very weird. It would've been so much calmer without" the televisions, Pia Varma of Los Angeles said after the plane skidded to a safe landing Wednesday evening in a stream of sparks and burning tires. No one was hurt.

As the plane was about to touch the ground, Hamilton said crew members ordered people to assume a crash position, putting their heads between their knees.

So, if their heads are between their knees, they can't watch the T.V. any way.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

"Last night's incident concluded exactly as Airbus expected it would," Airbus spokeswoman Mary Anne Greczyn said. "Flight crews are trained to handle such situations and aircraft are designed to withstand such landings."

The A320 family — which includes the A318, A319 and A321 — has a somewhat unusual landing gear that rotates before retracting into the fuselage.

"It's definitely not the most common way," said Chuck Eastlake, aerospace engineering professor at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, Fla. "The reason is that the ability of the nose wheel to rotate 90 degrees introduces the possibility of failure, exactly like what we saw."

In contrast, Boeing aircraft landing gear all move straight up and down.

The A320 landing gear is moved through hydraulic pressure, when fluid is pumped into a valve, which moves a piston. Rubber seals called O-rings are used to prevent the hydraulic fluid from leaking.

But if the hydraulic fluid leaks, the piston won't work right, Eastlake said.

That's what happened in at least two previous incidents. Airbus said the landing gear got stuck because of problems with the seals, and told airlines they should replace the seals on A320 and A321 aircraft.

The A320 family — which includes the A318, A319 and A321 — has a somewhat unusual landing gear that rotates before retracting into the fuselage.

Kiss - Keep It Simple Stupid!

Kiss -> That is why my 15 year old car is so reliable. There simply is nothing that can go wrong.

Seems there have been issues with this in the past. Caused by a blown seal in an actuator. This seal is designed without a back-up ring.
For an LG designer not using back-up rings is the same as a rig manufacturing using a 2 ring system.
It can function for a while but you can expect troubles.

About turning the wheels before/during retraction. This has been done more often although it would not be my first choise.
(F16 Nose and Main gear, AVRO RJ100(BAE146) MLG)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig