azureriders

Gold Coast this weekend?

We are thinking about making the trip to Gold Coast this weekend and was wondering 1) if anybody knew the road conditions of I-12 and I-10 from Hammond to Moss Point. 2) Is the DZ for sure going to be open and 3) We know that everyone has been doing all that is possible to help the ones that have been left homeless. Is Gold Coast planning anything of that nature this weekend and is there anything we can do or bring to help?

from the rw forum for gold coast:

"I wish I had better news but Gold Coast Will not be open this weekend because of the heavy presence of FEMA people. Currently the airport is closed to traffic other than emergency aircraft. I believe we should be able to operate the following weekend but I will let people know as soon as I get the word from the airport board. My phones are still only working part time so if you have difficulty getting through, just keep trying.
On a note of irony, the airport asked if I would put a skydiving wind blade on top of their new tower since the wind sock was blown down. Of course, I obliged their request and only wished I had my camera at the time.
Most everyone has been accounted for but we still haven't heard from Mark Garatie, Diane Berkshire, Kevin Tassin and Doc and Tammy Miller. If you guys get this message, please check in with someone to let them know you're OK.
We will get through this trying time together. Keep all those that lost their homes and property in your prayers.

Blue Skies,

Mike"

Since Gold Coast is closed because of flight restrictions. Come over to Emerald Coast this weekend. The Caravan will be there. If we get enough interest maybe Mike can bring the otter over if it back from its engine change. Lets do some formation loads.

Blue Skies,

I wouldn't hesitate to call the dropzone to get the final word.

I called yesterday (Thursday, 9/16) and talked to Mike Igo. He wasn't expecting to be running this weekend, but he was hoping to be open starting the weekend of Sept 24th.

Stay tuned, because things are constantly changing.