incode

Video editing

considering this is new to you (i presume)... you might want to start with the basics first before buying.
movie maker / imovie is probably already installed on your system.... they are standard with xp (or osX for the mac users)... splicing, transitions, filters, adding text, sound clips or whatever couldn't be easier. they have limits on what you can import/save to... but there's ways around that..... or you can just buy premiere.

fyi-i only use premiere when i need to work with masks or existing files in other formats b/c i'm limited on mem.
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

Take a look at this on Skydivingmovies.com

It's an example of what you can do with a $5000 camera and a free software program. I used Microsoft moviemaker - it comes with XP. There are only two edits in the timeline - opening credits and closing credits. I just kept the output to the wmv file, but could have chosen to put it back on my camera's DV tape. Later on you'll ask about DVD authoring - try the Photography forum - lots of information and good advice on things to know before you jump with a camera.

Any editing program rocks if you know how to use it and you are creative - any other program sucks if you are familiar with something else. If you want to try Premiere, you can download it from the Adobe Website and try it out for a short time for free. If you are a student you can get a break on pricing of the more sophisticated programs - check with your schools AV department.

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=2766

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

IMO

I use Pinnacle Studio 9 for most of my editing. It is user friendly for those new to editing, and still has some "fancy" tricks for the experienced editor. I use it on my Win XP system at home, but it is a memory hog as all video programs are. I reccommend that you have at least a Gig of ram before you really start editing.

I've used Premier and Avid at work, but for skydving movies that I do at home.... I prefer Pinnacle.

but that's just my $.02
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

Except that Premiere is crap. Get Final Cut Pro or Avid. They're easy to learn.

Rubbish !
Premiere is as easy as any other program in its class to pick up, plus it has excellent compatability with associated programs ( Photoshop for picture editing and Encore for DVD authoring)

Its gonna be tough to pick up that product as a first editing tool and use it effectively....just the same as any other program in that class .....eg Final Cut Pro and Vegas

I 'cut my teeth' on lower end programs such as Movie Maker and Pinnacle and am very glad I did....I learned ALOT generally on vid editing principleswhich made a transition to Premiere .....pretty simple.

I started using ULEAD studios. didnt like it much

than I got adobe premiere. It took a while to figure all the stuff out but I LIKE IT ALOT.

would help if I had an instruction booklet with it but I had to save some money and get the free version LOL
My photos

My Videos

Who here does digital video editing ?? if so what program's do you use?? Im starting to do some editing and need some good software so any help would be good.

The best advice would be to get your hands on what ever software you can to start with, if you have XP then Moviemaker will be on there, if you’re running a Mac then iMovie.

People will tell you to get Final Cut, Premiere, Vegas, Pinnacle, Ulead … the list goes on.. If you have the money then fine go out and by any one of these packages, but understand that it is not the software it’s the editor using it….. And a lot of what is said about these packages is just marketing hype… all these packages are consumer (not professional) grade, and will all do pretty much the same job….

Now if you are serious and want to make a living out of editing then you need to get to know Avid Xpress Pro, as this is the Industry Standard and without it you are unable to transpose your work upto a conventional motion picture edit environment. ..

If you want more specific advice, perhaps explain what it is you want to achieve.. are chopping together some poorly shot home video, or at the other end of the scale are you planning on shooting a movie using HDDV which you plan to laden with special effects and print to film ???
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Now if you are serious and want to make a living out of editing then you need to get to know Avid Xpress Pro, as this is the Industry Standard and without it you are unable to transpose your work upto a conventional motion picture edit environment. ..

What exactly is a "motion picture edit environment"?
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

What exactly is a "motion picture edit environment"?

Basically, an Avid enviroment...

Avid was introduced to Hollywood in 1989 and has replaced "flat-bed" linear editing (a more time-consuming process in which film is cut by hand), and is the industry standard.....

Yes im aware there are Hollywood movies that have been edited with FCP, “Cold Mountain” for example… but estimates are that still %95 of editing in Hollywood is done using Avid.
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

tahnx for the help guys, i have found that the standard windows editing software sux and has very limited capability so im looking into a few other :D thanx again

What is it you are trying to edit? and what is it you are trying to acheive??? I have a fair bit on knowledge in this field and quite happy to offer you some advice/help... PM me if you want...

Currently Im using an older, low end version of Ulead.
I had be using Premier, and Im missing it.
Mostly b/c my version of Ulead is missing much of the features I used in Premier.

While it is VERY easy to use, if you do any video editing for very long I think youll find it just donesnt have the features that other editors do.

I just need to get version of premire off my other computer and put it on this one. :)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865