skydivellama

New Zealand

All you Kiwis out there, I need your help! I'm going to be in New Zealand for about ten days a couple weeks from now, and I'd love some travel advice. My only fixed itinerary is to start in Auckland, stop in Palmerston North (for business) about halfway through, and finish in Wellington. I can't go to the South Island at all, much to my regret, but if all goes according to plan I'll be moving to NZ next spring, so I can check it out at leisure then. Anyway, I'd love some suggestions for places to go, activities to try, really good hostels to stay in, etc etc. Thanks in advance! I've wanted to move to New Zealand since I was 12 (I'm 22 now) and I can't believe it might finally happen!

"Perhaps she saw before her a lifetime of walking on the ruined earth and chose instead a single moment in the air." -Carolyn Parkhurst

Hey Do not stay in Auckland too long, it just like any other city but smaller. While you do stay there though stay in the hostel called 'Base" down in Fort St. At night get up to the 'ACB" hostel's bar for a good night.

If you are looking for a jump, head to Mercer, they will pick you up for free outside your hostel, it is the sports dropzone of new zealand, others are more or less tandem factory's.
Try and get off route a bit on the way to palmy though and head to Mt Maunganui. Great place, awesome, awesome beach.
Palmerston north is a hole, don't stay any longer than you have to. Though if you ring up the dz at mercer they will pick you up from the airport and give you a place to stay if you do some jumps, great Super Porter there.

On your way to wellington around tirau go and do some bridge swingin and flying fox, bunjee just off state highway 1.

Have fun, the most beautiful country in the world. Just know, NZ, it is an expensive country even though you think your dollar is strong it has become very weak over lately and the everyday things can be expensive.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Yeah, I hear Palmerston North is pretty boring, but that's where the vet school is and therefore where I'd get to spend the next 4 1/2 years. Thanks for the info, I really hope I'll get a chance to jump while I'm there.

"Perhaps she saw before her a lifetime of walking on the ruined earth and chose instead a single moment in the air." -Carolyn Parkhurst

I spent ten days in NZ about 4 months ago. I started in Auckland and rented a car. That will really blow your mind if you have never driven on the left.

My first stop was Mercer and I made two jumps there.They have a porter and nice scenery. It looks like the Shire in the Lord of the Rings which was filmed nearby. Then I drove down the hotsprings country (can't remember names too well) and stopped at lake Taupo for the night.

There are 3 Tandem factories at Taupo but the scenery is worth doing a solo. They have Pac 750's and the staff was real nice. The lake is about the size of lake tahoe. Be advised that some DZ's require AAD's for all.

We ended up in Wellington on the 3rd day and took the ferry to the south island. There is a great DZ in Motueka near Nelson called Abel Tasman. They have incredible scenery.

Our trip ended in Christchurch then we went on to Australia, so much to see so little time. If I had more time I would have liked to have gone North from Auckland up to the beaches on the northern tip.

You can actually see alot in 10 days if you aren't working too much. Send me a PM if you like and I can give you details of what I saw while I was there