Broke

Another question about canopies

I amseriouslly looking at getting a newer canopy after a conversation that I had with a rep from PD at Skyfest.

I am currently jumping a Fury 220 which I am loading at about 1.06. The wingloading isn't bad for newer designed canopies, but I was informed that the older style canpopies of the 20 y/o design vintage were really designed to be loaded at about .8.

At first I wias initally concerned about pack volume, but upon further consideration I believe that the reduction of bulk of the lines would make it not a problem. I currently have Dacron lines on my canopy but I digress.

What are some of the more modern 7 cell canopies?
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I'm sure the PD rep mentioned the Spectre and the Storm. I did my first 200 jumps on a Spectre ... very nice canopy. Super-reliable openings, soft, on-heading, never slammed me. I just put in a demo request for a Storm - I thought about trying it at Skyfest, but I'd rather get it through the demo program and have two full weekends to play around with it in more relaxed, non-boogie conditions. There's a thread on the Storm where you can get others' impressions on it, though - so far the reviews seem to be very good.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Why do you want absolutely a 7 cells while 9 cells are known to have (and they do) a more powerful flare. The Furry is a 9 cells isn't it? You could go 2 size lower with a zero porosity 9 cells and still have the same support and even more. About the pack volume, a Sabre 2-190 should fit nicely in your container (in replacement of the Furry 220) and you will be amazed to see how soft you can land with respect to your Furry 220. A friend of mine, a quite heavy guy thought the ideal canopy for him would be a Spectre 230 (Spectre is a 7 cells and a zero porosity canopy). He got one. Later he sold it to get a Nitron 190 and it has been a revelation for him. From the Nitron 190, he get better landings.
Two friends of mine complained about the Spectre. Way to slow to open (600-800 feet) and sometimes starting rocking at the opening. I want just to add what I know about things related to your question.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

The fury is a realyl old f111 7 cell main. I think whatever canopy I get might pack a bit larger than my old fury, and I would rather change canopy size alone rather than canopy size and nimber of cells of the canopy.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Then there are the Aerodyne Triathlon and the Icarus Omni and Omega. I looked at the Gear section of this website to find out about the Icarus ones, you could have done that yourself of course. :P

I have no experience with the Icarus products, and I can only recommend to demo, demo, demo. You might love a Triathlon, you might hate it. You might also very well be better served with a Pilot, Silhouette, Safire2 or maybe, just maybe even a Sabre2.

It all depends on what you want in a canopy. And on what you can handle.

Johan.
I am. I think.

If it's landing you well why change now? Learn to fly this one well. Then change to zp and different design when your ready.

For a point of comparison, when I had around a 1000 jumps, after a bad ankle injury, I had a Manta (288 sq. ft. F111 type fabric) and a Sabre 190 (190 sq. ft. and zp 9 cell). Suspended load up to 250lbs. If I wanted a guaranteed soft landing I grabed the Sabre. I also had a Triathlon 190 (190sq. ft. zp and 7 cell) a little later. The Sabre and the Triathlon had exactly the same air speed as measured by an anemometer under canopy. About the same glide angle. The Sabre flared a little better.

So # of cells may not matter as much as design. Going from a Fury to a Triathlon is a lot bigger change than going from a Fury to a Raider (220 sq. ft F111 type 9 cell by Flight concepts, current maker of the Fury)

By the way the Fury is still available under Classic 7 cells on the Flight Concepts web site.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

All of them. :P

Seriously, it's not really a valid comparison. I don't know if maintaining the number of cells is really a good measure for choosing another canopy.

The Fury (along with most of Red's 7-cell/F111 type) is a demo type canopy that is better suited to lower wing-loading, not necessarily due to "vintage" design...

If you switch to a modern 7-cell or 9-cell, you're in for a serious performance boost regardless of size (unless you upsize I suppose).

If you like Flight Concepts canopies, look into their Sentry line, nice square 9-cell zp, not all bad.

Also, consider PDs Spectre (7-cell) and Sabre 2 (9-cell) as well as Icarus Safire 2 (9-cell) and Aerodyne Pilot (9-cell) and Triathlon (7-cell)..among others.

All of the aforementioned are competent canopies and will not disappoint you (compared to a Fury 220).

Demo the canopies and pick on. I like the Triathlon a lot (what I own), and Safire 2 has super sweet openings. PDs canopies are good stuff too...

If you're looking to sink canopies in (like a Fury 220) a demonstrator fashion, then also look at Flight Concepts Sharpchuter (245), StarTrac I (265)...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

To add to Max's info FCI (Red) will put Zp on the top skin if some one is looking for that material.

Plus - FCI (like most of the canopy makers) updates its designs as new things are found out. So a Fury of today may be a bit different from the Fury of 10 years ago.

I kind of wish I had a Sentry for some of my jumps at the end of the day when my old ass gets tired and would like to slow down a bit.:P

Matt

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

(unless you upsize I suppose).

Great post, just wanted to add my opinion on this exact detail:

Upsizing is never "scary or bad", despite what the common attitude is - in fact, I got a lot more response, performance and pleasure out of a navigator 240 compared to a Falcon 215.

-----

As to the old, tired, milked out "7 vs 9 cell" debate, if you're happy with a 7-cell, buy a 7 cell. Like the 9 cell better, go for it. When I started to jump a 7 cell, an experienced jumper told me huffily that "in that case I must like having to work hard in order to make it back from a long spot."
I dunno - but I think I'll cover more distance under a Spectre 190 than he will under his itty bitty handkerchief.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom