Jeff.Donohue

Learning to fly (pilot's license)

Way to ruin a perfectly good quote.

It was clearly in response to "I took no ground school at all. Just read the books."

It obviously wasn't a perfect fit. But your argument was just dumb. Seriously. You were arguing with Robert Livingston, which seems pretty pointless to me since he's not here.

"The Wright Brothers were dumbasses"

- Robert Livingston

Dave

Ground school doesn't teach anyone to fly. Instructors do that, in aircraft or simulators.

The quote was and remains dumb, regardless of who said it. Even Einstein said dumb things from time to time.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Kallend,

Your a big Mooney pilot if I remembe correctly.

Whats your preference, Ovation / Bravo, or do you fly the old 201?

A high school friend of mine purchased a Piper Meridian. Got alittle stick time, very nice at FL25 @220 kts., although I believe it tops out at 260 kts.

The quote was and remains dumb, regardless of who said it. Even Einstein said dumb things from time to time.

Actually, the quote was adapted from something that Sir William Osler said -- about the time that the Wright Brothers were perfecting their flying machine.

"The physician who doctors himself has a fool for
a patient."

Osler, a revered early member of The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine's staff, also said some pretty dumb things. He made an off-handed remark that it would be beneficial to society if elderly people in poor health would allow doctors to end their lives. For that, the press hounded him for years, for a time replacing a lifetime of incredible work with only the word, "Oslerization."

"The physician who doctors himself has a fool fora patient."

How about, "teaching yourself to fly is like do-it-yourself brain surgery". I saw a man break his back when a gust of wind put him in the air after doing high speed taxing in an ultra light. He flew just a little before crashing. [:/]
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

"The physician who doctors himself has a fool fora patient."

How about, "teaching yourself to fly is like do-it-yourself brain surgery". I saw a man break his back when a gust of wind put him in the air after doing high speed taxing in an ultra light. He flew just a little before crashing. [:/]

Exactly ... an instructor would have helped him to learn what the wind limitations of the plane and the beginning pilot were.

People used to ask me if flight instruction was necessary for ultralights. My response was usually, "No, and neither are basic intelligence and good judgement--but all of those play a large role in learning to fly anything safely."

Kallend,

Your a big Mooney pilot if I remembe correctly.

Whats your preference, Ovation / Bravo, or do you fly the old 201?

A high school friend of mine purchased a Piper Meridian. Got alittle stick time, very nice at FL25 @220 kts., although I believe it tops out at 260 kts.

All Mooneys are wonderful.

Hmm ... two smart-assed replies to that statement:

Yeah ... I especially like the flowers that they sell on the side of roads in big cities.

Yeah ... if you are under 5'10" and figure out that "flaring" a Mooney means pulling off the power when you are 4" above the runway.

Hmm ... two smart-assed replies to that statement:

Yeah ... if you are under 5'10" and figure out that "flaring" a Mooney means pulling off the power when you are 4" above the runway.

Only beginners do it that way, right before they wheelbarrow it down the runway..

Ground school doesn't teach anyone to fly. Instructors do that, in aircraft or simulators

If you are literate, and have the discipline to do the study, self-study for the "ground school" is way more than adequate, maybe even best. If you have trouble scheduling your time, then the regular schedule of an instructed class may make more sense.

If you want to do it the cheap way, just open up a drop zone. Then you have a 182 just sitting there and if you own one you might as well be able to fly it. No plane rentals, just find a CFI. One of your pilots probably is one. Real Cheap. If you don't consider the tens of thousands to open, the thousands each month lost for the first couple years, the lost revenue for every hour you fly instead of sending jumpers. So I guess I was wrong. Not the cheap way.
However, the pucker factor I just got for flying the first hour to break in my newly overhauled engine (which I helped to put together) all with my 60 some hours of flying time was definitely worth the 20 thousand or so ticket.
Didn't want to try to sound cool. That was just absolutely the scariest thing I've done in a long while. AWESOME!

mmm, I'm dreaming..one day...

Recreational Pilot Permit (Canada)
Transport Canada requires 25 hrs. minimum flight time including 15 hrs. dual flying with instructor, 2 hrs. (including flight of 2 legs minimum of 30 min. each) Solo flying 5 hrs.

http://www.principalair.ca/index.htm

SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

What's wrong with the Mite? Mooneys wouldn't have a backwards tail if it wasn't for the Mite! I think Mooney has survived on the energy produced by people saying "why's the tail on backwards."

Dave

Bring back the Mite. Really.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.