SpeedRacer

at what point do you just buy a whole new 'puter?

OK I just got a new (5th generation) IPOD with the video feature, so I can watch movies on it. It has 60 GB.

So my current computer I bought in 2001. I am only now running up against a road block re. the hardware. So far I have changed: about a year ago I replaced the CD drive with a CD-RW/DVD drive. REcently I installed a card containing 4 USB2.0 ports, the original had 2 USB 1.1 ports.

But the new version of ITUNES for downloading movies & videos requires at least a 32 MB video card (I got a 16 MB video card) and at least a 1.5 GHz CPU (I got a 1.2 GHz)

PLUS, I only have a 20 GB hard drive, which is one third the size of the IPOD.

So, since I have to replace the CPU, and possibly the mother board to go along with it, AND get a better video card, AND get a bigger hard drive, and maybe I might even need a different power supply to power the new CPU....

...should I just buy a whole new computer, or upgrade the items piecemeal?

You can get whole new computer systems at pretty reasonable prices, so I'm thinking maybe that's the way to go. What do you computer geeks think?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Guest 1010
>What do you computer geeks think?

get a $250-$400 Dell from the Dell Refurbished shop ... then dress it up with more ram, dvd-writer yourself if it needs it B| don't know if you can add video-ram, probably want that already on board

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

winter's commin dude. get a 32meg video card on ebay for $20 or something, buy yourself a new snowboard, and stay outta the house.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ya we'll rape the local objects, and maybe do some jumps too!"

I picked up an ASUS P4-800MX MOBO (800MHz FSB, AGP 8x, USB2.0 x 4), Pentium 4 @ 3.0GHz HyperThreading, 200GB HD, CD-RW, DVD-ROM (separate units), FDD 1.4MB, 512MB DDR PC3200, WITH Windows XP Pro for $329 at CompUSA..... (it was $359 and the Manager gave me another $30 off).... Added a Video Card ATI 9250 for $60 and I am flying :-)

Just visit the store often and watch out for the Manager's Special ...

Sweet ....
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

that'd be good. I'm running windows XP Prof. right now. and if Icould get that whole deal for $329 I would do it. save a lot of trouble.

Man it is fucking amazing how fast & cheap technology is becoming.B|

edited :

CD-RW, DVD-ROM (separate units),

YTF are they separate units??
Speed Racer

wtf is "Linspire"? and it only has 128 MB ram. this is just from a cursory overview. There's probly more. Sounds to me like I'd need many hundreds of dollars to bring it up to speed. but thanx for playing:P
Speed Racer

I picked up an ASUS P4-800MX MOBO (800MHz FSB, AGP 8x, USB2.0 x 4), Pentium 4 @ 3.0GHz HyperThreading, 200GB HD, CD-RW, DVD-ROM (separate units), FDD 1.4MB, 512MB DDR PC3200, WITH Windows XP Pro for $329 at CompUSA..... (it was $359 and the Manager gave me another $30 off).... Added a Video Card ATI 9250 for $60 and I am flying :-)

Ummm...what? I sooo don't understand geek talk, but yet i find it kinda sexy. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

definitely time for a new computer. There's only so much you can upgrade without having to change everything but the box.

IMO it's better to get the best platform you can afford so that it's more easily upgradeable for longer.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

at what point do you just buy a whole new 'puter?

Every two years.

nah, its every 18 months. 2 years and you're beyond outdated :P

Seriously though, you get what you pay for with computers just like cars. Buy a cheap computer and you are buying a cheaply built computer. Companies like Dell can afford to sell computers very cheaply because the parts they use are not only rare but f'ing cheap.

I was installing a new HD in my friend's Dell, when I went to set the jumpers on the original HD to Master w/ a Slave I was suprised to find out that the off brand HD had 32 freakin jumper configurations. I'm sure somewhere there was a purpose in mind when they made "Master w/ Slave: And subtract 4GB of space on Master"

Just my opinion, but its generally best to avoid the large scale bargain basement computers like E-Machines, Dell, etc.

If you get a Dell, your buying a piece of shit.
If you get a Gateway, your buying a piec of shit.
If you get any pre-packaged big name PC, your more than likely going to get....yes you guessed it...a piece of shit.

The only way to truely get a really good PC is to either learn to build it yourself, or have someone put one together for you based on your personal needs.

You also have to do alot of research on which hardware configurations work the best together. For example: When I put mine together, I didnt go with the absolutely fastest MB or fastest processor. I went with a pair that for some reason work so damn well together, they are faster than the "fastest" out there. In PC's is all about how well the hardware works together. No matter how good you do, you will still have to buy quality spyware and virus software to keep all the assholes out and it will still crash on you when you least want it to.

Now, to absolutely solve all of your problems, get a Powerbook. 100 gig HD upgrade. No conflicts, built especially for video and music, more intuitive than any other computer ever built and comes with all the goodies you need. Firewire 400/800, USB 2.0, wireless built in, and a good vid. card.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

The only way to truely get a really good PC is to either learn to build it yourself, or have someone put one together for you based on your personal needs.

That totally depends what you are using it for. If it's to go online, pay your bills, write some letters, play a few games...you can get a computer that will handle that and more, and very well, for a good price prebuilt. Most people don't come close to utilizing the processing power of todays pcs. As long as it has decent RAM, a good video card, and enough hard drive space, then it's perfect for 90% of us.

My new HP is a media center pc with video capture, built in DVR, time shifting radio, with a good video card for playing games, 2GB RAM, Athlon 64 3800+, usb ports everywhere, 5 in 1 card reader, 250GB HD, dual layer DVD burner with Lightscribe and came with a 19" analog flat screen and 3 year warranty for $1100.

And when I get the xbox 360 it has a built in wireless media center extender so I can than play all the music and videos on my pc through my home theater in the living room.

Just get the new compy... for 500 you can get a decent machine outta the box, and you can have a warentee if it pitches a shit on you... where as now if you upgrade piecemail your comp can pitch a shit and there is nothing you can do.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192