Sttucker13

Replacement Mudflaps or Removing Embroidery?

I'm 1 successful swoop and dock from my A license, so of course I jumped the gun and sank my bank account to buy all of my gear. Got everything for a pretty good deal, and the whole system is top of the line, less than 10 jumps on the main and container. The container is a Vector 3M, and everything is perfect with the exception of the former owner's name being embroidered onto the left mudflap. [Mudflap? Is that right? I saw that term on the net somewhere. ;)]

I heard it's possible to have a rigger replace those mudflaps -- how do I go about getting a replacement to provide him with? Or would it be possible/easier to just trim the threading off of the mudflap? The container has 10 jumps and has been sitting in a closet for a year so I'm not worried about there being a faded spot on the rig when all is said and done -- just worried that it will fray the fabric or otherwise look unseemly.

Thanks for any info or advice!

You can remove it yourself, however there is a good chance that it will not look like new when you're done. Even if it's not faded, you'll most likey have needle holes in the fabric.

Also, the mudflap covers some fairly important harness stiching where the harness, reserve risers, and lower three ring all come together. If you do try to remove it, use extra care not to damage the mudflap itself, or anything under it.

My advice is to wait until the off season, and send it back to UPT (formerly RWS) in Fla and have them change the mudflap outright. IF the rig is not equipped with a Skyhook, you could have it retro-fitted at that time as well.

Well I had planned on removing the stitching myself with a stitch-puller, but as far as replacing the mudflap I was going to enlist (commandeer) one of the DZs master riggers to swap them out. I suppose if I unstitch it and it looks terrible it will just have to work until winter when I can send it in to have it replaced. Would it be possible to have a rigger sew a black, appropriately sized patch ontop of the mudflap -- maybe one with MY name sewn across it? Is that a legal modification?

It seems like a lot of trouble for something that's not a big deal. You could have a rigger change it out, but there's a fair chance it won't look like it came out of the factory. On an otherwise brand new rig, it may stand out.

Additionally, a local rigger wil probably charge more than the factory. Seeing as they don't so that sort of work all the time, it will take them longer, and riggers and the factory come up with costs based on how long things take. The difference would probably cover the shipping back and forth to Fla.

I still vote you leave it be until the winter. If it's as mint as you say it is, it will be worth it to wait, and have the whole thing look 100%.

More than one rig has been ruined by a second owner trying to 'adjust' the cosmetics to their tastes. Remember how it looks is a secondary factor. How about focusing on your skydiving, and spend your money on additional jumps.

It seems like a lot of trouble for something that's not a big deal. You could have a rigger change it out, but there's a fair chance it won't look like it came out of the factory. On an otherwise brand new rig, it may stand out.

Additionally, a local rigger wil probably charge more than the factory. Seeing as they don't so that sort of work all the time, it will take them longer, and riggers and the factory come up with costs based on how long things take. The difference would probably cover the shipping back and forth to Fla.

I still vote you leave it be until the winter. If it's as mint as you say it is, it will be worth it to wait, and have the whole thing look 100%.

More than one rig has been ruined by a second owner trying to 'adjust' the cosmetics to their tastes. Remember how it looks is a secondary factor. How about focusing on your skydiving, and spend your money on additional jumps.

Well you assume I plan on actually getting it dirty. My original plan was just strap it on and strut around the tarmac waving at pretty girls..

Sounds like the situation I have. My first rig (the one I still jump) I bought used with only 10 jumps on it... and the previous owner's name on the mudflap. I've just dealt with it as I heard similar recommendations about hand-picking the stitching and the likely results. In the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal as I got an almost-new rig in neutral colors that fit me fairly well and took exactly the canopy sizes I wanted for much less than I would have paid for brand new gear. The modifications that I did pay for were ones that I needed to make the rig fit me better and therefore worth it to me to spend the money on (replaced the chest strap with a longer one as the previous owner lacked breasts and I needed a bit more breathing room up top, and replaced the B-12 snaps on the leg straps as I preferred not to have them.)

So, when anyone says anything, I joke about how it's not me that is named Erik, it's the rig. :D

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I removed embroideries from mudflaps twice (from rigs I sold). First I used a seam ripper to cut the threads then a cutter of cuticle to pull the lines out. If the embroidery is too big it may not be a good idea. Anyway, it takes time and patience and you should expect a little damage (fraying), specially if you are not very careful. It is also a good idea to whash the container once finished.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

A couple of idea's you might think about.

1) Picking embroidery stitches are the WORST. You'll get the embroidery picked apart until the stage that it's completely frayed, and then you'll wish you never started the project. I'd recommend this be your last option. If you're really set on this method, snips and needle nose pliers will work well.

2) I've seen people use a fabric marker to color the embroidery threads the same color as the rig. I've seen them in embroidery supply catalogs but I dont have much experience with them.

3) Call UPT and see if it is an option to have a mudflap sent to you. If they will, then you can have your rigger change it out, and you likely wont suffer much in the looks department. This will be your best option other than sending the rig in to the manufacturer.
-Tony
(253) 445-8790
Velocity Sports Equipment