ccowden

Stephen King

but virtually no mention of Carrie, 'Salems Lot, Christine or The Dead Zone. ALL classics. and NO mention of The Mist or Firestarter. and what about the amazingly creepy stories in Night Shift??

I am also a fan of the earlier King works and you've mentioned some very good stories.

However none of them were as good (IMO) as "Eyes of the Dragon" and NONE of them were a huge letdown like the Dark Tower series ended up being.

Steve-o... you let me down.

'The Long Walk' is still my favorite King story.
Don

I have a compelling urge to read that story every 2 years or so. I have no idea why but like you I think it's probably my favorite.

Whoever mentioned the classics and shorts. They were mentioned on the other thread. I pretty much stopped reading King after Needful Things and Tommyknockers - because it seemed he ran out of interesting things to say.

I guess I should pick up the rest of the DT books from the way everyones talking, even though someone already posted the conclusion earlier (thanks!).

Dragons Eye I remember throwing across the room due to a lame ending or some sort - since I read it about 18 years ago I dont remember why i thought it was a crap ending though.

And yes, I ripped off the evil clown gimmick from ccowden in the hope we could create an army of evil clowns on dz.com.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

I guess I should pick up the rest of the DT books from the way everyones talking, even though someone already posted the conclusion earlier (thanks!).

Dragons Eye I remember throwing across the room due to a lame ending or some sort - since I read it about 18 years ago I dont remember why i thought it was a crap ending though.

I tried to avoid mentioning the ending to DT...others may have alluded more forcefully, but i don't think it was ever spelled out entirely. There is still alot going on at the end that was not mentioned.

Eye of the Dragon is written like a fairy tale and those type of endings were never the greatest but I think its ending was a little better than most(fairy tales).
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I tried to avoid mentioning the ending to DT...others alluded more forcefully, but i don't think it was ever spelled out entirely. There is still alot going on at the end that was not mentioned.

I think the worst thing I said was that the ending suggested Stephen King might someday write another book or two. At least I hope that's all I said!

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

sick sick sick. all claim to be SK fans, but virtually no mention of Carrie, 'Salems Lot, Christine or The Dead Zone. ALL classics. and NO mention of The Mist or Firestarter. and what about the amazingly creepy stories in Night Shift?? how about The Boogeyman? i couldnt sleep for months with my closet door open "just a crack". Night Surf is a prequel to The Stand, and Jerusalems Lot is the prequel for 'Salems Lot (very much Lovecraft inspired).
stories in Night Shift that have been made into movies (most horrible BTW) -
Trucks
Sometimes They Come Back
The Lawnmower Man (King sued the writer/dirctor)
The Boogeyman (Frank Darrabont)
The Woman In The Room (Frank Darrabont)
Quitters, INC.
The Ledge
Night Shift
The Mangler

Frank Darrabont went on to direct The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.

Dude whatever! This thread was a spin off from another thread where I did mention those!

So BITE ME!

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

'The Long Walk' is still my favorite King story.

I think King is better at writing short(ish) stories than novels. The Long Walk was awesome, and I really liked the Langoliers. The Sun Dog scared the shit out of me for some reason, as did Here There Be Tygers. Out of the same book (Skeleton Crew), I love The Jaunt and Mrs. Todd's Shortcut, and Survivor Type is the ultimate shock-factor kind of story.

Movie adaptations of short stories have been by and large horrible. Stand By Me was good (based on The Body), but Maximum Overdrive stunk, as did The Running Man, and Lawnmower Man diverged so far from the story that the only thing they really had in common was the title.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I've read nearly everything he's ever written except for The Colorado Kid which I have in paperback here on my desk.

Ack...just got this from his webpage

Continuity Clarification from Stephen
“The review of The Colorado Kid in today’s issue of USA Today mentions that there was no Starbucks in Denver in 1980. Don’t assume that’s a mistake on my part. The constant readers of the Dark Tower series may realize that that is not necessarily a continuity error, but a clue.”

So now I'm gonna have to go read detective stories? :SB|:D

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

and Survivor Type is the ultimate shock-factor kind of story.

I was trying to remember the name of that today....that story really struck me. The thing I like about King is that he makes you challange your own beliefs and perceptions, and think. Sure, reading about possessed cars, killer clowns, and vampires is fun and entertaining, but so many of his other tales could sooooo happen, and he can put ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances and make you wonder how you would react in the same environment.

Events such as those in "The Woman In The Room" and "Secret Window, Secret Garden" have already occured. I could see "The Long Walk" becoming a reality , even within the next few generations....I know damn well you could find 100 people right now who would risk their lives to out-walk 99 others for a chance to win anything they want for the rest of their lives, and there's already a huge market out there for reality TV....throw in the right political mindset of the folks who could allow it to happen, and there you go. I could even see "The Jaunt" happening in the next 2-300 years, and even "From a Buick 8", which would just be the same teleportation except on a grander scale.

But the thought that grabbed me the most was his ruminations at the end of "The Gunslinger", when he talks of the possibility of a conveyance carrying you in suspended animation for thousands of years at light-speed, and you awaken to find yourself approaching a great wall like the inside of an eggshell, and you crash through to find that your whole universe existed in an egg on a blade of grass, and that there was another universe far more expansive than yours. I'm not saying I neccesarily believe that to be true, but then again, who's to say it's not ? As far as I know, nobody's ever found the end of the universe.

I'm not a fan of science fiction, but I think on that a few times a year. And I think that's what makes a great writer......that you keep revisiting the thoughts they put into your head.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."