RB_Hammer

Garmin Foretrex 201

Anyone have one? Have you been able to download tracks on, say a laptop with only USB ports?
I have a Keyspan serial to USB adapter, it shows up as COM4 but the device is never detected.
I do like being able to put the forward speed on display though. :)
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

Last I checked, rs-232 serial devices don't "show up" in the way that a USB device does. That is, when conneting something to the 'serial' end of the adapter, you won't necessarily see a dialog pop up saying everything is ready to go. Once the USB adapter is plugged in and working, the garmin software should be able to connect to the foretrex through the com4 port
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

There are 2 kinds of usb-serial adapters, you need the more expensive one that does some converting or something instead of just changing the plug. no idea what it's called but you can tell by the price difference usually.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

There are 2 kinds of usb-serial adapters, you need the more expensive one that does some converting or something instead of just changing the plug. no idea what it's called but you can tell by the price difference usually.

The converter I bought, the KeySpan High Speed Seial Adapter, is one of the more expensive ones. I know the adapter is working, as it comes with a utility and I can see data flow.
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

Thanks for the link. I will give that a try tonight. I am using ParaLog. I have a demo now, and have every intention of purchasing, once I know I can download from the GPS.
Speaking of ParaLog, does anyone know if it can download from an L&B AltiTrack?
Mathew Quigley

Speaking of ParaLog, does anyone know if it can download from an L&B AltiTrack?

No.

I wonder why not.Somebody should speak to the developer ;)
If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes???
My logbook

It was mend as kind of a joke because vidiot is the developer of paralog.
But hey if you have to explain your jokes they can't be to good, so........ never mind.....

:S

If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes???
My logbook

Anyone have one? Have you been able to download tracks on, say a laptop with only USB ports?
I have a Keyspan serial to USB adapter, it shows up as COM4 but the device is never detected.
I do like being able to put the forward speed on display though. :)

I had one before,
accurate: ok,
sensitivity: not to good but got the position in freefall
Be carefull not to lose it in freefall, if bumped it just snaps off!

I have the 205 which is really great:
smaller
more sensitive
USB
harder to lose.

Mike
www.321chutelibre.fr
www.saut-en-parachute.com