leroydb

collection of quotes

on my desktop is a text file that i toss quotes that I like in...

I balanced all, brought all to mind
The years to come seem a waste of breath
A waste of breath the years behind
In balance with this life, this death

W.B. Yates
--------------------

"Either let me fly, or give me death, let my soul rest, take my breath,
if I don't fly I'ma die anyway, I'ma live on, but I'll be gone any day"

--------------------
"[BASE] that['s] where you jump from an Airplane with no parachute into a
Tsunami, but live because you Duck-Dive?"
--------------------

You need to support your soldiers now or you will fall for them later.
--------------------
Every nation & culture produces its share of genius and pathetic people. A
measure of your own genius is your ability to recognise this.

--------------------
"The first question which you will ask and which I must try to answer is
this, 'What is the use of climbing Mount Everest ?' and my answer must at once be, 'It is no
use'. There is not the slightest prospect of any gain whatsoever. Oh, we may learn a little
about the behavior of the human body at high altitudes, and possibly medical men may turn our
observation to some account for the purposes of aviation. But otherwise nothing will come
of it. We shallnot bring back a single bit of gold or silver, not a gem, nor any coal or
iron. We shall not find a single foot of earth that can be planted with crops to raise food.
It's no use. So, if you cannot understand that there is something in man which responds to
the challenge of this mountain and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of
life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go. What we get from
this adventure is just sheer joy. And joy is, after all, the end of life. We do not live to
eat and make money. We eat and make money to be able to enjoy life. That is what life
means and what life is for."
--------------------
It is unfortunately quite human to think something is stupid, when you don't
understand and would never do it yourself. It's a matter of where does the
line go for what is stupid or not. Ask an average non-jumper-Joe about
skydiving, and he may think that it is a stupid thing to do. If you ask a
skydiver about base jumping, he may think the same thing. Even if you ask a
base jumper about for example base jumping and deploying in fog, he may
think that is stupid. If you don't understand why and would never do it
yourself, it's easily called... stupid...

What really is stupid?
--------------------
It's not uncommon for many people to react with anger when they are
confronted by fear. People get scared and they react with bravado to make
that fear go away.
--------------------

No one falls in love by choice, it is by CHANCE.
No one stays in love by chance, it is by WORK.
And no one falls out of love by chance, it is by CHOICE.

--------------------
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

No one stays in love by chance, it is by WORK.
And no one falls out of love by chance, it is by CHOICE.

Don't these lines contradict each other?

Here's my saved quote:

"Homer: No Bart, if anything happens to me, you have to carry on the Simpson name.
Bart: Screw that! When I'm old enough, I'm changing my name to "Joe Kickass"!
Homer: That's SO cool!"

:D

I know, I've no culture

"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time thing.

You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all the time.

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game, and that's first place.

I have finished second twice in my time at Green Bay, and I don't ever want to finish second again.

There is a second place bowl game, but it is a game for losers played by losers.

It is and always has been an American zeal to be first in anything we do, and to win, and to win, and to win.

Every time a football player goes to play his trade he's got to play from the ground up-from the soles of his feet right up to his head. Every inch of him has to play.

Some guys play with their heads. That's O.K. You've got to be smart to be number one in any business. But more importantly, you've got to play with your heart, with every fiber of your body. If you're lucky enough to find a guy with a lot of head and a lot of heart, he's never going to come off the field second.

Running a football team is no different than running any other kind of organization, an army, a political party or a business. The principles are the same. The object is to win. To beat the other guy. Maybe that sounds hard or cruel. I don't think it is.

It is a reality of life that men are competitive and the most competitive games draw the most competitive men. That's why they are there. To compete. To know the rules and objectives when they get in the game.

The object is to win fairly, squarely, by the rules-but to win. And in truth, I've never known a man worth his salt who in the long run, deep down in his heart, didn't appreciate the grind, the discipline.

There is something in good men that really yearns for discipline and the harsh reality of head to head combat.

I don't say these things because I believe in the "brute" nature of man or that men must be brutalized to be combative. I believe in God, and I believe in human decency. But I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Vince Lombardi
-
-
"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

Lots of good (and some bad) ones here.

"Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand."
Chinese Proverbs

"Too often students are given answers to remember, rather than problems to solve"
Roger Lewin

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance."
Benjamin Franklin (American Statesman, Scientist, Philosopher, Printer, Writer and Inventor. 1706-1790

"The highest result of education is tolerance."
Helen Keller (American Author and Educator who was blind and deaf. 1880-1968)

"Theories and goals of education don't matter a whit if you don't consider your students to be human beings"
Lou Ann Walker

"If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn."
Ignacio Estrada

I've been doing that since sometime in early college.

I've attached a current copy of the file, as text (I keep it as word, with some formatting).

I particularly like the first one and the last one.

Do you have the people who said all of yours? I'd be interested in knowing who said them.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

"It takes minutes to have a crush on someone, hours to like someone, and days to love someone, but it takes a lifetime to forget someone."

"In this world you are one person but to one person, you are the world."

"Do not fear the truth, only fear those who keep the truth from you."

"Dance like no one's watching, love like you'll never be hurt, sing like no one's listening, live like it's heaven on earth."

"Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I may not forget you."
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time. What do you get at the end of it? A death. What's that, a bonus? I think the life cycle is all backwards. You should die first, get it out of the way. Then you live in an old age home. You get kicked out when you're too young, you get a gold watch, you go to work. You work forty years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement. You do drugs, alcohol, you party, and you get ready for high school. You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities, you become a little baby, you go back into the womb, you spend your last nine months floating... you finish off as an orgasm.

- George Carlin, In Humor/Dark Humor
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

I love quotes, I think they are great --

"For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Chances are you are one of them."

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."

"Quiters never win, and winners never quit. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

These all come from a website that I frequent when I need a laugh. You can get these on postcards and desk top stuff... I think it is despair.com

-
-
"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

Hoka He: Commonly believed translation "It's A Good Day to Die." More proper understaning of the Lakota phrase means "I have let go of the past and am ready to move forward fully and completely" A goal every day... but not one I have mastered yet.

Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Appreicate your friends. Continue to learn. Do what you love. Live as this is all there is.
Mary Anne Radmacher

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." John Galt (Ayn Rand)

"Hold stick near center of its length. Moisten pointed end in mouth. Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum. Use gentle in-out motion." "It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane" - Wonko the Sane

Karen

Just kidding, great book.

It really irritated me. The central premise is that capitalism is good, but it all rests on those in positions of power being nice to those weaker than them. If monopolies were impossible - due, say, to an absence of intellectual property laws, an abundance of all raw materials, and some flying porcines - the system sketched out by Rand might be plausible.

As it is, the book suffers from exactly the same problem as Marx - presuming humans are something they're not in order to make a political point.

Grrrr.

There is a REALLY good website with aviation quotes...and skydiving, poetry, you name it...

www.skygod.com

My personal favorite

"...of course you're going to fly. I've always known it. I could see it in the stars."

-Tom Black "West with the Night"

F.Y.I. "West With the Night" is a fabulous book..Beryl Markham...Africa...flying...who can top that ;)

"If you never try then you will never know" ~Coldplay

"Take risks not to escape life but to prevent life from escaping"

"Don't be afraid of the unknown embrace it with all you have"

"Live as though you were going to die tomorrow and learn like you are going to live forever" ~Ghandi

"Dont run from love...run towards it because you cant help who you fall in love with"

more to come....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be the change you wish to see in the world!

1975: Long hair

2005: Longing for hair

1975: KEG

2005: EKG

1975: Acid rock

2005: Acid reflux

1975: Moving to California because it's cool

2005: Moving to Arizona because it's warm

1975: Trying to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor

2005: Trying NOT to look like MarlonBrando or Liz Taylor

1975: Seeds and stems

2005: Roughage

1975: Hoping for a BMW

2005: Hoping for a BM

1975: Going to a new, hip joint

2005: Receiving a new hip joint

1975: Rolling Stones

2005: Kidney Stones

1975: Being called into the principal's office

2005: Calling the principal's office

1975: Screw the system

2005: Up grade the system

1975: Disco

2005: Costco

1975: Parents begging you to get your hair cut

2005: Children begging you to get their heads shaved

1975: Passing the drivers' test

2005: Passing the vision test

1975: Whatever

2005: Depends

Just in case you weren't feeling too old today, this will certainly change things..

The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1987.

They are too young to remember the first space shuttle blowing up on liftoff.

Their lifetime has always included AIDS.

Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

The CD was introduced the year they were born.

They have always had an answering machine.

They have always had cable.

They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.

Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.

They never heard: "Where's the Beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel", or "de plane, Boss, de plane".

They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who J. R. even is.

McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.

They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Do you feel old yet?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~