cartoon_anvil

Good shoes?

After seeing quite a few of my friends break their ankles, I've decided I should probably get something other than sneakers to jump in. Something with really good ankle support, but lightweight. Something with a good arch support for no-wind days would be nice, too. Any suggestions?

hanwags

They work great if you jump big parachutes but have too much traction to slide in and aren't good for running. You want to do one of those two things when jumping smaller parachutes (bigger defined as loaded under a pound per square foot).

They probably help keep your ankle joints together and the bones inside your skin but won't prevent broken legs. To do that you need to not screw up, pick good landing areas, and keep your legs together if you do land in brush or other crap.

Since actual 'jump boots' are no longer in style...;)

I use what I consider to be the next best alternative, leather hi-top basketball shoes.

Laced up tight they give a bit more support than a lower cut 'sneaker' and with a relatively smooth bottom surface aren't as likely to 'grab' the turf when you need to slide it in.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

yup, gotta love the chuck's. i like the long laces because i can tie them with large loops in the bows, then use them to tie a second bow. maybe it's a belt and suspenders thing, but i haven't lost one yet. :D

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

A better solution is to figure out what your friends were doing, and don't do that.

I would second this. I jump in Teva sandals relatively often. And as much as I love them, chucks don't offer that great of ankle support. Something like this: http://skate.vans.com/SHOES/owens_hi.html might be a bit better.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

I've been jumping in Chuckie T's as long as I've been skydiving. They offer some ankle support and slide well. My dad always laughs because I am almost 32 years old and all I ever wear is the same damn shoes I wore when I was 19. B| And as far as the extra lace goes, you just tuck em' down the sides.

I just jump in my Asics Gels, really good running shoe. Then I strap my ankles for extra protection.

You guys are crazy jumping in those Converse, 1 landing in those would snap my ankles in half I reckon... they're a dress shoe :)

A better solution is to figure out what your friends were doing, and don't do that.

I would second this. I jump in Teva sandals relatively often. And as much as I love them, chucks don't offer that great of ankle support. Something like this: http://skate.vans.com/SHOES/owens_hi.html might be a bit better.

Oh God what an awful colour!!

Oh God what an awful colour!!

I happen to think they're charming! They match my hair.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.