kenz

help with fundraising ideas

i have a very close friend who has leukemia (i have posted about her on here before) and she has finished her chemotherapy a couple of months ago, however she is still in desperate need of finding a stem cell donor - the thing is to have ONE person tested it costs $4500, and her insurance won't cover it... soooooo here's where you guys come in... if any of you have done a fundraiser before or have ideas on how to raise money could you please send me a PM... i would love to be able to help her out.. i'm sorry if im not supposed to post this or i put this in the wrong forum but i wasnt sure where else to post it... thanks a million
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

My son's soccer team does car washes. They've done 2 so far and have raised $1150, and $1000 in cash. The coach found a 7-11 and a nice manager to do the car wash at. He got a permit from the city to be able to collect money at the intersection and also has the boys stand outside the doors of the 7-11 collecting change.

At last Friday's car wash, a guy brought a not-very-dirty Hummer through the line. He got out and gave a coach $50, and starting asking why the boys needed money. The coach explained that the school doesn't supply any of the necessary equipment, uniforms or warm-ups so we have to raise the money. The guy said he'd like to help out more, so he wrote a $1000 check! :o The boys were soooooo excited!

Good luck with your fundraisers, I hope you find the money you need.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

have a raffle in your area. ask local merchants if they would like to donate coupons or certificates for their food/services/etc. add to this things that you and your family have made/cooked/baked. whatever. people will pay $1 for a ticket if they might win something. make sure there are alot of prizes to raffle off, too. people love to win things.

a friend of mind said she raised $3000 with a basket raffle. same idea sorta - make gift baskets with pretty ribbons etc and make the baskets "worth" be $40, $50, $100, whatever amount. think $50 massage gift cert + $15 product from the spa. theme baskets. you can either raffle or auction these off. ask your friends to help you make these. hell, people are always making scrapbooks or creating some woodwork masterpiece or painting stuff. think of your friends that might do this sort of thing and see if they'd be willing to donate something that they put their heart and soul into. those gifts are great.

car wash was mentioned.

depending on where you live you can do a dunking booth thingy or a car smash (hit the car with a sledge hammer for $1).

if you're friends with a local wine bar, host a wine tasting. this took some effort but it was very much worth it. make sure to have food available (cheeses, fruits, dips, etc).

whatever you do, be creative best of luck to you...

blues,
a

We threw a party.

Got a really nice venue to not charge us venue hire, sell booze and do a good meal.
Got a really good semi well known band to play.

Marketed it well, got lots of friends and family there.
Sold tickets before and at the door.

Made a lot of cash!!
We also did a raffle.

Otherwise a raffle. You need big and good prizes. All donated.
100% Profit.

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

Depending on how shy she is:

Call your local news station. They love local heart-felt tales to exploit. But, the great thing about it, is usually viewers end up donating TONS of money b/c it's local and they feel the whole "close to home" charity cause. If you have celebs in the area, it's even better----they usually tip the scales with local "needy cause" fund-drives. I'm sure it stems from their big heart , but you know they also love showing their face on T.V. next to the smiling worthy-cause individual.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

this is a pretty simple, easy one...

Contact your local Souplantation or whatever your favorite restaurant is, and ask if they do flier fundraisers... the way it works is that they give you a flier to hand out, you make copies, and anyone who comes in with the flier on a certain day, you get a percentage of the sale. If you can get people to hand them out outside of churches on sunday morning, you'll get a lot of people, especially if you put your friend's story on the back of the flier. You sometimes need to give them a "club" name, so make one up in advance.

Here's one from Rubio's http://www.rubios.com/fund-raisers.html

Some places don't even care if you stand right outside the door and hand a flier to everyone who walks in.

Also, with her permission, contact your local newspaper (not regional, a town paper, usually inserted once a week in the regional paper) and tell them you have a lead on a human interest story. Get them to interview your friend about what she's gone through. If she's got a medical trust-type account, they can put at the bottom of the article "donations can be made at Bank of America to the Jane Doe Medical Expense Trust Account... any leftover funds will be donated to the American Cancer Society" or something similar.

Auctions always work great for us. Serve alcohol. Get a really good auctioneer. People get really competative and bid crazy prices for all sorts of stuff.

When you get around to collecting auction items, PM me. B|

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

i just wanted to say thank you... i am definitely starting to come up with some great ideas thanks to you guys :) you are the best... i appreciate it more than you know!!!

thanks again!
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me