simplyputsi

Cable disruption

How can it be done? I want to mess up a cable signal so bad that someone would turn off the tv because of it. I have access to the cable, but not the end part. Can I put something around it that will totally Fubar the signal up? Will a strong magnet work? I can't cut the wire and add something so that is not an option for anyone thinking of it. Any suggestions??
Skymama's #2 stalker -

How can it be done? I want to mess up a cable signal so bad that someone would turn off the tv because of it. I have access to the cable, but not the end part. Can I put something around it that will totally Fubar the signal up? Will a strong magnet work? I can't cut the wire and add something so that is not an option for anyone thinking of it. Any suggestions??

If you want someone to turn the tv off, why not just tell them to turn the damn tv off?

Or turn the power off?

Holy crap!!! I thought I had been banned from this site from work. It just let me back on.

Ok back on topic, Why?? The beotch upstairs doesn't seem to understand that her tv is way to friggen loud and I've tried to live it for awhile now. There is some tension between us so civility is not an option anymore. I am afraid that if I ask she turn it down, mind you this is only at night, she will just make sure to turn it up. She is one of those people. So I just need to be able to knock her signal out whenever I want and since the cable runs through my wall, well sucks to be her if I can get it figured out. Oh yes I'm a sneaky bastard!!
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Legal schmegal. I don't plan on getting caught. Hey it's not my fault the cable runs by my seriously strong magnet:ph34r::ph34r:

Well I suppose I could just ask her nicely, again, but I'm telling you it's friggen on if she doesn't do anything about it.

It will be ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I once lived next door to a moron who kept cranking up his stereo until the dishes in my kitchen cabinets were rattling. He got more and more obnoxious whenever I told him to turn it down. One day he wouldn't even answer the door, but just screamed "FUCK YOU!" through the closed door. So I returned the favor by calling the cops., and notifying mgt. He was evicted in a matter of days. Landlords usually take a dim view of tenants who cause the police to stop by.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'd do the management thing if it were an apartment, but it is a condo. The only thing I could do is complain to the Home owners association who would just send a letter saying to consider others. I'll see how the rest of this week goes, if no good, then I'll write her a note, if no improvement then I'll complain to the HOA. If it doesn't improve from there I can't be responsible for the cable being cut.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Well that isn't really what I want to do. Thus the reason for this thread. When the tv was too loud i'd just jack the signal up. I was going to just start trying to disrupt the signal, but after some thought and others posts I think I'll give "nice" another try.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I'd do the management thing if it were an apartment, but it is a condo. The only thing I could do is complain to the Home owners association who would just send a letter saying to consider others. I'll see how the rest of this week goes, if no good, then I'll write her a note, if no improvement then I'll complain to the HOA. If it doesn't improve from there I can't be responsible for the cable being cut.

Are you, or she, owners, or renters?

The HOA is capable of doing much more than just sending out polite letters.

Cable sabotage will backfire badly on you. You might get one or two shots before you're busted.

Nice my ass
Take that person down. Dont cut the cable you will have difficulty putting it together and she will know something is wrong. What my dog did though, and it might work for you, is just slightly cutting (my dog gnawed) the outer and inner layer of the cable and then bending it so that the outer wires separate and touch the inner wires. Depending on how many wires are separated and touching distortion will change. You can also put everything right by bending the cable straight again and unconnecting the outer wires from the inner ones. And if anyone complains or figures out that it was you, just say it was an accident or something while hanging a picture, vacuuming, moving furniture etc.
[http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci211806,00.html]
peace
Pointy birds
Oh pointy pointy
Anoint my head
Anointy nointy

Thought I'd update this. I put a note on the neighbors door and since then, except for the first night, the tv has been turned down. I can still hear it though, but can only attribute that to thin ceilings or something which is weird cuz it's not like that in other parts of the house. So nice has worked for now, but I'm wondering how long before she starts cranking it up again.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Get a car battery and hook it up to the wire. Who knows where those power surges always come from..... Muahahahahah

In general, I would always talk to them first. If problem continue, call the cops. And if your cops are as useful as mine, any SMALL electrical pulse/signal will disrupt cable service when applied directly to the wire going into their house. But of course, I would never suggest anything illegal. I'm just explaining what could cause outages.
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

Get a car battery and hook it up to the wire. Who knows where those power surges always come from..... Muahahahahah

In general, I would always talk to them first. If problem continue, call the cops. And if your cops are as useful as mine, any SMALL electrical pulse/signal will disrupt cable service when applied directly to the wire going into their house. But of course, I would never suggest anything illegal. I'm just explaining what could cause outages.

I had a power surge ruin my 35 inch TV, just after the warranty expired. I think lightning was to blame, and I have since rerouted the power and cables through a surge protector.

It's good that talking nicely to the instigator seems to have worked. If not, the next step would have been the apartment manager. If not, then the police... Always cover your bases and don't give the asshole any ammunition to get you back with, like in court...:P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

They have cable surge protectors?? I'll have to get me one if they do.

I have one that plugs directly onto the wall outlet and gives you 6 power outlets, plus cable in/out. You just remove the standard cover plate. Works great when you have a TV, VCR, DVD player, and other shit you need plugs for... :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Method one.. shove a straight pin THROUGH the jacketing so it also contacts the core wire. that tends to REALLY screw up the signal by shorting the cable. I prefer doing this somewhere in a public area... like the back of the condo. no proof its you... coulda been anyone. oops

just make sure you know which one is yours. could be REALLY sucky if you hit the wrong one.

Second try, break into the apt and hide one of these. http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/79be/

truly evil.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

They have cable surge protectors?? I'll have to get me one if they do.

I have one that plugs directly onto the wall outlet and gives you 6 power outlets, plus cable in/out. You just remove the standard cover plate. Works great when you have a TV, VCR, DVD player, and other shit you need plugs for... :P

that's nice to know. i recently had a dvr hard drive fried and was completely baffled as to why. now i see. thankfully i rent my dvr from time warner and they just replaced it at no cost. i lost all the shows i had on it, but it could have been a lot worse.