swedishcelt

broken plate

I went to the Dr. Wednesday and the xray showed that the long rectangular plate in my leg was broken and bent in the center. I don't remember doing it or it even happening and it's only been 4 1/2 months since my accident and it was put in. He didn't seem too worried about it or anything and even said it's quite common. He said nothing needed to be done as long as my leg was still healing well and all.

I was just wondering if anyone else had had this happen to them.

I had a vertebrae (sp?) broken when I was 16 (nothing to do with skydiving though, just falling ;-)) and had to get some metal plates and screws via surgery, too. It was planned to remove the stuff two years after, but on the check-up one year later we found out one of the screws was already broken. The surgeon didn't seem very worried either but said that as it was now useless, it was better to remove it sooner than planned.

I suppose these things break when the bones around it "resolder" and change enough to put too much mechanical constraints on it...

I broke my tib/fib five months ago...
I have three plates and thirteen screws but as far as i know the hardware is intact. The only problem I have are the screws on my ankle: they stick out prominently through the skin. Makes wearing boots impossible.

I didn't know that the plates could break....and withouth you realizing it? Isn't titanium supposed to be a very strong metal?

Anyway, sending some healing vibes!

I just had the plate and screws removed from my fibula on Wednesday. It was in for over 2 years, not bent or broken. I wonder if you started weighbearing a little too soon and that's what stressed the plate? Shouldn't be an issue as long as you are healing OK, but I also don't think its all that common- he was probably just trying to make you feel better.

I went to the Dr. Wednesday and the xray showed that the long rectangular plate in my leg was broken and bent in the center. I don't remember doing it or it even happening and it's only been 4 1/2 months since my accident and it was put in. He didn't seem too worried about it or anything and even said it's quite common. He said nothing needed to be done as long as my leg was still healing well and all.

I was just wondering if anyone else had had this happen to them.

tell them you want titanium next time!
Scars remind us that the past is real