susanjumps

quirkyalone.net

Has anyone seen this? I just discovered it last night, and my questions is...

Is it really necessary to have a "treatise on an important and growing segment of our modern culture" in order to feel comfortable with one's self? If people truly are comfortable in their own skin and are persuing individual lives, why do we still have to have a group to validate it?

Just a question. :)
Erleichda!

"I just wasn't myself today," Gupta commented. "I wasn't any self today. I was an egoless particle of the universal no-soul."

Ok, so we all know, without some website telling us, that we are ok with ourselves. So why is there one? The woman who wrote this book was on Anderson Cooper. Why?

If one is truly at peace with who they are as an individual entity in existence, doesn't that contradict the existence of a movement that validates it?
Erleichda!

"I just wasn't myself today," Gupta commented. "I wasn't any self today. I was an egoless particle of the universal no-soul."

Ok, so we all know, without some website telling us, that we are ok with ourselves. So why is there one? The woman who wrote this book was on Anderson Cooper. Why?

If one is truly at peace with who they are as an individual entity in existence, doesn't that contradict the existence of a movement that validates it?

For some people, society tells them that being happy alone is wrong. They see their friends getting out of relationships and hopping right into new ones and so they wonder if they should be like that.

Or maybe you are thinking about it too much. ;)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Are you kidding? For too long I wasn't thinking enough. It is nice to massage the grey matter again.

So, do you think they woman who started this actually is what she preaches, or not?
Erleichda!

I think not....cause if she was truley happy being alone she wouldnt be looking for like minded people to be alone with her:ph34r:
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I think not....cause if she was truley happy being alone she wouldnt be looking for like minded people to be alone with her:ph34r:

Perhaps, but I also think it is highly possible that she is doing this to tell others who are unsure that its okay if they like being alone, nothing is wrong with them.

Perhaps, but I also think it is highly possible that she is doing this to tell others who are unsure that its okay if they like being alone, nothing is wrong with them.

Ok, maybe she is doing it to help others, I will buy that. But if you are actually accepting of you, why would you think something was wrong with yourself?
Erleichda!

Ok, maybe she is doing it to help others, I will buy that. But if you are actually accepting of you, why would you think something was wrong with yourself?

I am saying that there may be people who like being alone, but the people around them give them the idea that maybe that is not healthy. This is kind of like a reaffirmation that it is okay.

I dunno, just making this up as I go along. :)

How quirkyalone are you?
Your score was 54. Somewhat quirkyalone (otherwise known as quirkytogether):
You are probably part of a mysterious group of people, the quirkytogethers. You share many of our quirky qualities, but you manage to find yourself, on a regular basis, in a coupled situation. Interesting.

Greenie in training.

I too am a quirkytogether. Scored a 71.

Im not sure what the hell I just answed but Im sure my brain is not better off having done it!:S

Im more of an "quirky-I-dont-give-a-shitter" :D:D
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I am saying that there may be people who like being alone, but the people around them give them the idea that maybe that is not healthy. This is kind of like a reaffirmation that it is okay.

I dunno, just making this up as I go along. :)

I suppose you are right. Some people do need that kind of affirmation because of what they are bombarded with by the people around them. I still say, even if those attitudes are around you, you shouldn't have to justify your choices or have the conformity of a group to satisfy others. i.e. I am a skydiver. I know that. No one has to tell me it is ok that I am a skydiver, regardless of how some people in my life think I am nuts.

That said, it is also nice to be around like minded people. I just find it odd that they have a "test" to tell you if you like yourself. That pretty much seems like something you should know one way or another, and if you don't, you should take the time to find out. :)
:P
Erleichda!

I think it is because what you discover when speaking to other people about these sorts of things is that it can help one to understand that they really are being themselves, and not just jackasses.

There are 3 types of people, I think...

1)Conformists
2)Non-Conformists
3)Individuals

Conformists do things because that is just what you do. Their lives are dictated by society. Non-Conformists do things because they are what you DON'T do. Their lives, too, are dictated by society, as much as they will insist that they are not. Individuals do things because they want to do them, and feel like it is the right thing to do for them, regardless of how it lines up with the outside world. These people are often confused with non-conformists, and therefore can start to see blurry lines between the two, and start to misinterpret themselves. When you speak to others and understand how others lay and follow their path, you don't have to be going down the same path, but can find comfort knowing that others have laid and followed skewed paths in the past. It's like being an entrepreneur in your life...quitting your job and starting a new company. Although you are starting a company that manufactures blowup dolls, you can take advice and support from someone who may have gone down another path completely, say, growing daisys. This person will not be able to advise you on how to do specifically what it is that you are doing, but it is a different and more appropriate type of advice and support completely from that which you would receive from a career employee as opposed to an entrepreneur.

Make sense? Cause I'm just makin this shit up as I go along. :-)

-S

Conformists do things because that is just what you do. Their lives are dictated by society. Non-Conformists do things because they are what you DON'T do. Their lives, too, are dictated by society, as much as they will insist that they are not. Individuals do things because they want to do them, and feel like it is the right thing to do for them, regardless of how it lines up with the outside world. These people are often confused with non-conformists, and therefore can start to see blurry lines between the two, and start to misinterpret themselves. When you speak to others and understand how others lay and follow their path, you don't have to be going down the same path, but can find comfort knowing that others have laid and followed skewed paths in the past. It's like being an entrepreneur in your life...quitting your job and starting a new company. Although you are starting a company that manufactures blowup dolls, you can take advice and support from someone who may have gone down another path completely, say, growing daisys. This person will not be able to advise you on how to do specifically what it is that you are doing, but it is a different and more appropriate type of advice and support completely from that which you would receive from a career employee as opposed to an entrepreneur.

Make sense? Cause I'm just makin this shit up as I go along. :-)

-S

Good shit. ;)
Erleichda!

Not at all. I read the web site to say that this is not for dealing with all aspects of an individuals personal relationships (ie. personal friends, work friends ect) but rather to quantify a certain segment of the individuals personality. This is simply dealing with thier attitude towards S.O. relationships.

This sums it up: "generally prefers to be alone rather than dating for the sake of being in a couple."

I do not see this "group" as being, lets just say, for 35 year olds with 18 cats and no hope of a love life. ;):)

Have Rig will travel ...