karenmeal

Computer Help

OK..

For my class I need to download and install this link:

http://www.synthesisters.com/download/maxmspruntime456.zip

My teacher reccommended that I use Mozilla Firefox to do this.. so that is what I am doing. After having tons of trouble, someone suggested that I needed something to unzip the files with, so I downloaded and installed EZ Zip. I still can't get the file to open. I click on the link, and it times out. The same message you get when your internet is down, or the site is down. Tried all the things it suggested. Now what? I'm so frustrated because I've spent 4 hours trying everything I can think of to figure this out with no progress... and I should be working ony the actual homework, not dealing with technical issues. Argh.

Anyways, Can someone pretty please help me? I'll give you a pack job (if you're in my area) if your advice helps me solve the problem.

Thanks,

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I've tried it with internet explorer. I've tried right clicking on the link and then saving it to a folder on my desktop. However, when I go to open up the file from the folder to extract the files, nothing is actually contained in the folder. It's like it goes through the motions of downloading and appears to work, but nothing is actually there.

Does that make sense?:S

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I've tried it with internet explorer. I've tried right clicking on the link and then saving it to a folder on my desktop. However, when I go to open up the file from the folder to extract the files, nothing is actually contained in the folder. It's like it goes through the motions of downloading and appears to work, but nothing is actually there.

Does that make sense?:S

Delete and try downloading again, if it still isn't there I'll come up with another way to send it to you. I tried the link and it downloaded for me with no problems.
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

I don't really know what else I can tell you..

Right clicking, choosing to save it in a folder on my desktop. Going to the folder on the desktop, opening said folder, nothing is there, but it does say that it had been updated seconds ago, which tells me that I'm not accidentally putting the file into some other place.

Does that make sense? I'm clueless as to why this isn't working, it has worked for others in my class..

Could it be a firewall problem? I know nothing about firewall stuff.

-Karen

What kind of internet connection do you have and what version of Windows are you using?

Edited to add: before we go any further, instead of saving the file after you click the link, just run it. In other words, click "open" instead of "save."

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I am using DSL, I have a pentium 4 with windows XP Pro.

When I try to just open the file, it tries to open and then it times out and shows the cannot find server page.

My boyfriend is pretty good with computers and was also stumped. I'm almost positive that we're not just making some goofy error.. it's got to be something to do with security settings that we don't know about/firewall stuff.

-Karen

Unfortunately I don't have a phone that works when I'm at my computer. I only have a cell, and I live in a basement that gets no reception. That's also frustrating me.>:(

But I really appreciate your offer.

I'm trying to open up what Bruce emailed me, but it's asking me what program I want to use to open it with? This is supposed to be a program that I use to open other files with.. Now I'm really confused again.

-Karen

Unfortunately I don't have a phone that works when I'm at my computer. I only have a cell, and I live in a basement that gets no reception. That's also frustrating me.>:(

But I really appreciate your offer.

I'm trying to open up what Bruce emailed me, but it's asking me what program I want to use to open it with? This is supposed to be a program that I use to open other files with.. Now I'm really confused again.

-Karen

Save the attachments to your desktop, you should be able to run them directly from there, 1 is an rtf file the other is the installer.

Hoooray!

I figured it out.. I opened up the rtf file in word, read that and realized that the name of the installer file had somehow gotten scrambled into something like this:

MaxMSP_4%2E5%2E6_Runtime_Installer%2Emsi

When it should have been something like this:

MaxMSP 4.5.6 Runtime Installer.msi

So I renamed it.. and VOILA! I can do my homework now!

Weird......

Thank-you guys for the help!

Thank-you so much Bruce for e-mailing that to me.. if I ever meet you remind me to give you a free pack job or something. Thankyou!!!

-Karen

Chances are that happened when the file was attached to Outlook Express. When you get a chance talk with someone local (or who you can call on the phone) to change some of your settings so you'll be able to download and unzip files. Makes life much easier in the future.