narcimund

Apostrophe's

It would have to be written "I squeezed each of the stripper's boobies." for it to show the correct posessive relationship. ;)

Does this mean that it would be correct to say "Clay squeezed each of the stripper's boobies"??

FFF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

But back to the main point:

Apostrophes DO NOT PLURALIZE!

Wrong: "Buy carrot's here." (The apostrophe does not make "carrot" into a plural.)

Wrong: "Buy banana's here." (The apostrophe does not make "banana" into a plural even though the word ends in a vowel!)

Double wrong: "Whats so differen't?" (Apostrophes are not necessary EVERY time a word ends in "-nt". By the way, this lovely example is a quote from a prolific DZ.comer. Sorry; I'm really not trying to pick on anyone in particular.)

Four ridiculous attachments enclosed:

First Class Citizen Twice Over

example61.jpg

example29.jpg

example15.jpg

example20.jpg

There seem to be some hot trends in poor spelling. The one that keeps coming up on this forum is people spelling "lose" with two os. Or "habit" with two bs. (Hey, narcimund, here's a strange example for you. Shouldn't I have said "with two o's"??;))

These bad spelling habbits are enough to make me loose my mind!!

I used to do really well on spelling contests in school. I can see the word written in my mind & I just read off the letters. Some people can't do that. A misspelled word really just jumps out at me right away.

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

You could make an argument (albeit a weak one) that "dress's" is correct.

The rest are maddening. Especially the one where they mix and match. What's up with that? I can see having an incorrect mental model, but what are they trying to do, hedge?

These bad spelling habbits are enough to make me loose my mind!!
(bold and italics added my me)
I used to do really well on spelling contests in school. I can see the word written in my mind & I just read off the letters. Some people can't do that. A misspelled word really just jumps out at me right away.

While not misspelled, it does appear you are losing your grasp on "o's"... (or os? hmmmm... );)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

(Hey, narcimund, here's a strange example for you. Shouldn't I have said "with two o's"??;))

I attribute the entire growing apostrophe abuse problem to the one or two exceptions that confuse distracted minds. One exception is the counterintuitive collective situation of "its", "hers", and "his". Another is the ambiguous case of possessive and plural usage of abbreviations and letters.

Unlike the obvious cases above (which is all I'm really trying to deal with), there is a split opinion about possessifying and pluralizing acronyms, abbreviations, and letters. You can say:

• o's
  • Os
  • or os

and any of them could plausibly be used for plural. I would instead recognize that English doesn't handle this well and rewrite the sentence: "...a double 'o'".

um Gawain, that was intentional! as was the "habbit" misspelling.

:P I'm going to have to close-caption my posts now.

Aha! Then my dear chap, may I offer that next time you intend such a mispelling (sic) that you use the work "sic" which is used to indicate that it is not a mistake and is to be read as it stands. ;):D
    Make light!

English doesn't handle this well

Among things that the English language doesn't handle well, I ask this:

Is "ain't" ever going to recover into accepted use again? ;)
    Make light!

Using "(sic)" in this case would have helped get the point across to the humor-impaired among us, but is not proper usage in this case.

"(sic)" is used to indicate a faithful quote of a poorly written original. In that usage it's generally included to make the original source look illiterate. It's like faithfully reproducing every "um" and aborted sentence when dictating a verbal interview. It makes your subject look bad and tends to piss them off.

Humor impaired! *LMA....what do you mean by that? :| .......... :D

My dictionary indicates otherwise, but I don't want to drown our delicate humor... ;)

Make light!

Definately.....what fun. Of course, now I will be obsessive compulsive about my spelling and punctuation but what the hell. [Laugh]

LOL...yes, it can make one a tad paranoid...btw, when are you going to start being obsessive/compulsive about the spelling part?

:D;)

Ciels-
    Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
    While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Some thing I have seen: A vacant lot near my old apartment in Baltimore...Someone had posted a sign in an attempt at preventing people from leaving junk there. The sign read: "THIS IS NOT KNOW DUMP!!!":D

that's about as bad as you can get, using a double negative, and then misspelling the word "no."

There's a quadruple negative in the blues song "Parchman Farm": Well I'm sitting over here on the Parchman Farm,
    Ain't never done no man no harm."

Speed Racer
    --------------------------------------------------