brianfry713

Skydiving on Jeopardy last night

Did anyone else see this? They had a category called "Parachuting with the Golden Knights". A girl in the "Clue Crew" went on a tandem with them and videoed a few answers for the game. As far as I remember they went something like:

A. This is when a person goes skydiving strapped to another person.
Q. What is tandem?

A. The fabric parachutes are made out of.
Q. What is nylon?

A. The military uses two methods to train students, static line and this, similar to a Tom Petty song.
Q. What is freefall?

A. In order to turn and slow the parachute for landing, a skydiver uses these, attached to the steering lines and also found on a car.
Q. What are brakes?

A. This organization oversees the packing of all reserve parachutes.
Q. What is the FAA?

I got them all right except for I was thinking toggles and couldn't come up with brakes in time. I guess most cars don't have toggles though.

The contestants didn't get most of the questions and avoided picking the category until the very end. They also showed some short sequences about the golden knights and the "Clue Crew" girl's tandem.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

Too cool! I'd have gotten them all right if I had been watching, and I'd have been yelling at the contestants the answers, then muttering "idiot" when they don't know it... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Jeopardy has a great website. I am watching Jeopardy right now. and it is 12:46 pm. I should be doing some digitizing instead of watching a game show and screwing around at dz.com. All time favorite game show. Only one worth watching. I should be on that show.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Cool, I think I would have been stuck on toggle as well, then realized that my car dosent have toggles and felt stupid.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

I was actually on Wheel of Fortune Friday, 2/4/2000. We filmed it on Friday 12/10/1999. I've been told they show reruns of it every now and then. I screwed up pretty bad a few times, but managed to walk away with $5,500 and second place. I think I focused a little too much on spinning the wheel and not on solving the puzzles.

Back in 1998 the Wheel Mobile showed up at U.C. Santa Cruz for a contestant search and I stumbled down there hungover to try out. I managed by dumb luck to get my name drawn out of a barrel first out of about 700 people and ran on to the stage screaming and jumping around. I sucked in the mock game we did but still got invited to the next round of about 50 people that were trying out for the show in Carmel.

After a few hours of mock games and a quiz of partially finished puzzles, I was chosen to actually go on the show. I lost my first invite for the taping when I moved but managed to fly down to Culver City in between finals and a ski trip 18 months later.

It's a little painful to watch now and I usually need to drink heavily to get through it, but I did make some money and had some fun doing it. Vanna still looked really good and was pretty nice but Pat is short and aging.

Of the 25 people and alternates that showed up for the taping, they drew us at random together and randomly chose who was up next each time. So I managed to get on the last show of the 5 they filmed that day. I think we started at around 8am and I didn't leave until around 8pm. Once the taping started it moved pretty quickly in real time.

One interesting thing was the girl I was competing against said an 'M' and Pat thought she said 'N', and they stopped the taping, threw out the puzzle and started a new one. They also gave the 3 of us $100 for the mistake. That worked out well for me because I won the next puzzle and wasn't doing well on the previous one.

I've always been more of a Jeopardy fan and I managed to sneak onto the inactive set next door at the Sony studios when I wasn't pigging out on the free food.
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

Too cool! I'd have gotten them all right if I had been watching, and I'd have been yelling at the contestants the answers, then muttering "idiot" when they don't know it... :D

That's the best part about watching that show! The really good part is, noone to call YOU an idiot, when you miss one!:D

Chuck

Now that is real cool. $5,500 is more than you walked in with! I always imagine that it is much harder when actually on the set than when in your livingroom. Back in the mid 70's my girlfriend and her family were on Family Feud, they lost. Only thing I ever won was concert tickets on a radio call-in show and a crappy record album at the mall. The concert tickets was for "Rocking at the Racetrack" at Del Mar, Ca. got the tickets from KGB radio in San Diego. The album was from a disco station in St. Louis, KSLQ, early 70's, I was pulled from a crowd at the mall and answered a questioned right about American Bandstand. For the record, I did not listen to that station. For me it was K-SHE 95 Real Rock Radio. Oh, yeah and uhmm, disco still sucks B|
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Thanks, the money helped sooth the pain, and pay for some grad school. I think the most painful part was how close I was to winning around $50,000. I was one letter and let a few eaisily solvable puzzles slip away. By not finishing them, I basically handed the game to the woman that went after me.

Some relatives of mine were on the Family Fued as well back in the 80's or something. As I remember, most of them did well, but one family member came up with some ridiculus answers that basically ruined their chances of winning.

A friend of mine's brother was on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, I think he walked away with some decent money.

I was on the "Liars Club" back in the day. I won. No cash but carpet (that I sold) a Magic Chef microwave , 4 piece setting of plates and some big beer mugs. It was fun but I'd rather be on match game.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live