AllisonH

Experience with Big Brothers Big Sisters?

It's a good organization. I was involved in a program called "sports buddies". We took kids to professional sporting events, it did not require a huge investment of time, but it did work out great for the kids.
The background process can take a while, make sure all your references at least reply. A non-response is (or at least was when i went through it) considered a negative response.
One word of caution. Sometimes these kids parents come to rely on the big brother for many things other than role model stuff. Asking for money or wanting the big brother to help solve some pretty complex problems, that may have taken years to brew.
If you have any other questions please PM me.
It is worth your time if you are willing to put the effort in. You can really make a difference in s kid's life.....................

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

I was a big sister in SD. I greatly enjoyed time with my little sister. We did everything from touring the badlands to just doing homework. I like to think that I helped her... or at least gave her someone to talk with when she needed it.

Do it. It takes time, but it's worth it.

I was a big sister. It's ok- really, it just depends on who your match is and what you make of the situation.

I am 23 and got a match who is 16. I was expecting a younger child and also someone that lived a little closer than 15 miles away. This match and her mom both got upset that I did not spend enough time with my little. (Did things about once a month or so) but this match called me "her only friend" and things, so they obviously wanted me around more.

Because I could not "meet their expectations" we ended the match after one year. I still hang out with her, but I no longer have to meet the BBBS requirements.

It is a good program, but do not say yes to just anything... If you are looking for a specific kind of match or relationship, tell your social worker. It is all about communication. They have a lot of nice events and resources available here in the area to do with your little. That was nice.
Blue skies and SAFE landings!
~Amanda~