hudsonderek

slinks?

I've got a set of slinks that I've put on and taken off risers twice, are these good to use again? they probably have 30 or so jumps on them, I know they set. am I running into issues by taking them off and putting them on again? I just can't bring myself to pay $25 + shipping to buy new ones if these ones are still fine.

i would think they would be good but its really up to you. many people just leave them on ive been packing for four years and some people choose to leave them on until they have to get a new lineset. i was just talking about this to a master rigger a couple days ago ive been working under him and he says that they last a good while but just to be sure check with your local rigger;)

death before dishonor

Yes, they are reusable.

There are a few different creative tools that makes removing them easier, mostly found as medical instruments. Talk to your local rigger for the right tool to "pull the loop over the tab" without damaging them.

my canopy opens really softly, so I was able to take them off no problem with just my fingers. thanks for the info

Cool. Fingers work well too....:P

Protocol says - slinks go with the canopy when sold, as they come with the canopy when new... Risers stay with rig.

Just FYI.

is this a Law? or just courtesy? if everyone keeps there own then we don't have to give them away ;) plus those things aren't cheap (as that comment says, I'm very poor)

no, not a law, not a BSR, not even a manufacturer suggestion. Just simple courtesy. It also makes it ALOT easier to not spill the lines :)

If you are very poor, you should concentrate on things other than skydiving. And yes, I am 100% serious. Because you just CANNOT afford to get injured. Sorry dude, hard truth is hard to swallow.

There are no written standards limiting the "life" of soft links, however, no-one expects a set of soft links to last longer than a line set (maybe 600 jumps), since they are made of the same materials.

Ergo, when Master Riggers install new lines, most of them insist on installing new soft links at the same time.

is this a Law? or just courtesy? if everyone keeps there own then we don't have to give them away ;) plus those things aren't cheap (as that comment says, I'm very poor)

Well - the only law says that when you sell something you have to disclose what it is. You can't sell a red car when the car is really green. I could sell you just the used thread from my canopy if I disclosed it as "thread from canopy, removed in 1 foot increments."

It is common practice to say on a classified "Red Canopy 210 sqft." If you say that, you need to include the complete system, which includes the links.

If you say, "Red canopy, no links", then you are doing the right thing if you keep your links.

Expect the used value of the canopy to go down without the links. If your neighbor is selling a complete canopy for $1000, and includes the links - you can't sell yours for $1000 and keep the links. (Of course, the value of the canopy is what someone else is willing to pay for it in the free market economy, I am just suggesting good karma says disclose what you are selling or not selling, and if the other party is willing to pay that price, all is fair.)

So, since you comment about being poor and money is a concern... Well, if you sell your canopy without the links, expect to get less money. If you sell it with the links, you will get more money, so you can buy new ones again. In the end, it all almost washes out.

and I bought my canopy used and they didn't come with them, so I had to buy my own, does this mean I can keep them? pleeeeaaaase?

The links are a part of the canopy.

Stainless steel #3 1/2 Maillon Rapide (mini) or #5 links are used. DO NOT USE OTHER BRANDS, DO NOT USE NON-STAINLESS. Non-stainless #3 1/2 links are only rated for 220 pounds working load vs 480 for the stainless.

Para-gear may charge you $3 each; your local gear store may stick you for $5 plus.