kirrz

Car help..

Do you guys know anything about cars? Ok.. about a week ago I was driving and this guy on a motorbike knocked on my window and told me that my petrol tank was leaking. I drove it to the nearest parking lot & found that it was indeed trailing petrol. I took it to the service center, they kept the car for 3 days and told me that some pipe at the bottom had become loose from wear and tear so it was dripping and they replaced it. Drove my car for the next few days, no problems.

Got in the car today, could smell petrol.. (maybe cos I was in a parking lot?) but I was paranoid. Drove the car about 5 metres, parked it, got down and looked underneath. The place it had been parked, at the spot near the tailpipe, there was a wet spot on the ground. I touched it and sniffed it and it seemed like oil so I didn't take the car.

Later in the day, a friend of mine told me that when you start a car with a good engine (it's a BMW), it is normal for a bit of water/ residue to come out of the tailpipe. Is this true? Or do I have a problem with the car again?

When you turn the car off the muffler / exaust is hot. As it cools water condenses from the air. When you start the car up it will spit some water out the exaust. I have seen cars going down the road still spewing water from the exaust - perfectly normal. :)

Your first problem sounded like the gas filler neck gasket was leaking. It is also normal for water (which condensates over night) to come out of the tail pipe when you first start the car (when the car has been sitting all night). It's not just in BMW's, my Xterra has a hole in the muffler to allow for water which has built up in it to leak out (looks funny since it's located in the middel of the car, everyone thinks its leaking). Hope that helps.

Thank you!! It does help! :)

One more question.. the water that comes out when you start the car, is it normal for it to feel/ smell a bit oily- petrol like?

It's normal. The moisture picks up the smell from the exaust. No worries.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity