ChasingBlueSky

Bird Flu?

We had something a couple of years ago called SARS that had similar bad press.

The probability of this happening is pretty low. On the other hand, the consequences of it could be devastating. That's why the risk is so high.

It's something to keep track of.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I work in Healthcare. I went to a conference where an epidemiologist gave us predicited numbers for the burd flu in the US. He compared the numbers to a category 5 hurriacane hitting across the entire country!

Although I find it hard to believe, I must say that I was scared listening to him talk! Since I work in long term care, the residents would be low on the priority list for vaccination/treatment, but their emphasis was on developing contingency plans for staff when 50% or so will be out with the bird flu!
Blue skies and SAFE landings!
~Amanda~

I work in Healthcare. I went to a conference where an epidemiologist gave us predicited numbers for the burd flu in the US. He compared the numbers to a category 5 hurriacane hitting across the entire country!

Although I find it hard to believe, I must say that I was scared listening to him talk! Since I work in long term care, the residents would be low on the priority list for vaccination/treatment, but their emphasis was on developing contingency plans for staff when 50% or so will be out with the bird flu!

It is in the Epidemiologist's / health care industry best interest to keep up all the yapping about bird flu since there are large sums of money involved. No bird flu - no money, right? For the same reason, there will never be a cure for cancer - too much money (billions) involved in research grants.

Remember some years ago, it was all the rage about Swine Flu. That one never came to pass, either. Now it turns out the CDC says that "ordinary" annual flu shots are not doing much good protecting us against the normal variety of flu's out there.

It is in the Epidemiologist's / health care industry best interest to keep up all the yapping about bird flu since there are large sums of money involved. No bird flu - no money, right? For the same reason, there will never be a cure for cancer - too much money (billions) involved in research grants.

Remember some years ago, it was all the rage about Swine Flu. That one never came to pass, either. Now it turns out the CDC says that "ordinary" annual flu shots are not doing much good protecting us against the normal variety of flu's out there.

I GUESS it is better SAFE than SORRY but it is also a waste of our time to get all worked up when the likelihood of this happening is not very likely...
Blue skies and SAFE landings!
~Amanda~