skybytch

Enjoy writing?

If you enjoy writing I'd suggest that you never, ever, ever take a college composition class. I'm only two weeks into my first one and already I'm sure that there is no better way to remove all pleasure from something that I previously viewed as enjoyable. :S

And now I must return to my assigned task of stretching one paragraph worth of what I think about some unknown person's critique of someone else's article into one to two pages of typed, MLA formatted "reading response"...

Bummer. My composition class last semester was awesome. Sorry to hear yours isn't. [:/]

May I reccommend the free feature on the website http://easybib.com/ to format your MLA bibliographies. My professor really liked the results on my papers.

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

Let me know if you'd like a proofreader, though.

No way! >:( I had first dibs on being her editor!

:D

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

LMAO, I did that for 4 hours yesterday as my 10 page paper was due at midnight. That is the worst part about doing anything online...you have to put all of your thoughts down on screen in a coherant fashion that conveys the message and the inflection. The next two weeks for me will be a nightmare of bibliography, paragraphs, and BS.

I agree not much fun anymore.

So how are the classes other than writing is a PITA?

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

If you enjoy writing I'd suggest that you never, ever, ever take a college composition class. I'm only two weeks into my first one and already I'm sure that there is no better way to remove all pleasure from something that I previously viewed as enjoyable. :S

And now I must return to my assigned task of stretching one paragraph worth of what I think about some unknown person's critique of someone else's article into one to two pages of typed, MLA formatted "reading response"...

For real!!!

The problem is they reduce writing to some sort of formulaic crap that has no soul and judge you on how neatly you stay within their stupid little boundaries.

For me, writing is about risk, not boundaries.

I'm afraid all you can do is just suck it up and give them what they want to see.

Walt

in reply to "I'm only two weeks into my first one and already I'm sure that there is no better way to remove all pleasure from something that I previously viewed as enjoyable. "

Sounds like an art course I took a while ago.:S
Even though I loved the ceramics the rest of it was more about becoming an art teacher and producing what the tutors wanted than developing artistic skills.

Went back to scribbling and being self taught...... more satisfying and more artistic and more heaps cheaper.

So how are the classes other than writing is a PITA?

History and philosophy are great. The history teacher is a bit dry but the subject matter is interesting; we'll see how I feel about that one after our first test (on Wednesday! Guess what I'm doin for the next two days...).

The philosophy teacher is awesome. We're discussing logic and argumentation - a dry subject at best - and he's making us laugh a lot. B|

For real!!!

The problem is they reduce writing to some sort of formulaic crap that has no soul and judge you on how neatly you stay within their stupid little boundaries.

For me, writing is about risk, not boundaries.

I'm afraid all you can do is just suck it up and give them what they want to see.

Walt

I totally agree, forcing writers to contain themselves to certain mandated "styles" and "formats" kills creativity and independant thought. Unless you're working in a tech writing sort of field, you should be encouraged to stretch the boundaries of the imagination. Maybe thats why a strange proportion of great writers are half insane, they had to sit through brain dead comp courses and their brains revolted.

Grendel Khan-The Official DZ.Com Newbie Forum Nuisance
"They sicken of the calm, that know the storm."