oldwrinklyninja

Assuming the position

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to skydiving - I have only done one RAPS jump (last years summer was cut short due to a very sore knee injury unrelated to the jump). This summer I'm going to try to do as many as I can because it was such an amazing thing that I want more :)

The trouble is though, during ground training I had problems assuming the superman position - specifically I cannot raise my front torso and arms more than an inch from the ground anymore. Now I would like to know if there is any specific stretches, or weights I can do to improve matters. I do have *very* shocking flexibility so I'm assuming that it's a problem there, but I am not sure if it is not strength also being a skinny lad.

Standing, I can arch and get my shoulders and arms back, but I tried doing the position in the deep end of a swimming pool and was just as good as when lying on the ground. I feel this doesn't bode well for me and if I want to do this sport I need to much improve this. Oh and I'm 26, not quite old enough to be complaining about my joints but old enough to wonder about some of the strange noises they make :)

So, any tips on what I can do, it would be much appreciated,
...dust in the wind dude, dust in the wind....

I assume that what you mean by "superman" position is your "arch".

What helped me:

Flexibility first, strength second.

Flexibility
Lay out backwards (upside down) across the back of a couch with your hips/lower on the back of the couch so that you have little to no weight on your shoulders (resting on the couch) and keep the feet on the floor. Hold it there and relax.

You can do this with an excercise ball too.

Strength
Lay down on the floor and put your feet on the edge of the couch, belly on the floor and practice your arch repetitively. You should have pressure on the feet to keep your thighs off the floor and your upper body off the floor with head up and good arm position. Start slowly (hold the arch for 5-10 seconds) and gradually, over time, work up to 1 minute.

Side note: It's harder to arch on the ground than it is in the air...you're fighting against gravity on the ground.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Hi,

Sorry I should have said, the superman is the arch position - I called it that because the last time I saw it was on an exercise tutorial where it was called the superman.

Thanks for your advice, I'll try them and see how I get on. I've also been told to try doing back extensions which I am going to have a go with.
...dust in the wind dude, dust in the wind....

I began skydiving at twice your age... so I know a thing or two about poor flexibility. The following stretch was taught to me by one of my freefall coaches. I find it very helpful.

1. Lie on floor, belly down.
2. Position hands on floor, as if to do a push-up.
3. Slowly push shoulders and upper body from floor WHILE LEAVING PELVIS AND LEGS FLAT ON FLOOR.
4. The key to this is to RELAX and allow your body to arch.

You may hear the term "arch hard". I think that this is a poor choice of words because "hard" implies "stiff". A stiff body postion is bad. I much prefer the term "arch deeply". Think about relaxing and "oozing" into position.

Once you have the above stretch figured out... add squeezing your butt muscles during the stretch. This is exactly how you will deepen your stretch in freefall.

Note that I have said nothing about arm position... most beginners stand and attempt to arch... with great emphasis on the arms. I found it far more effective to relax into a deep PELVIS arch with the above exercise ... the arms then naturally positioned themselves.

By the way, I suspect that if you use the term "superman" you will cause confusion. The only time that I have heard the term used in skydiving it has referred to a position which is almost the exact opposite of what you want to accomplish with your arch. (The superman that I refer to is a de-arched slow fall position with arms extended overhead and legs out pretty straight.)

The big secret to skydiving is a paradox. The secret is both very simple, and often the opposite of what seems proper.....RELAX. Yes, relaxation is tremendously helpful in freefall. Don't forget to smile!!!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I called it that because the last time I saw it was on an exercise tutorial where it was called the superman.

It was probably called the "Boxman" and you were told NOT to do the superman, but it being several months have commingled the two. Superman is where your arms are straight out, whereas the preferred arm placement is in a "W" also called the boxman. Sound familiar?

As to flexibilty and stength - Glideman gave you a good stretching exercise. For strength, you may wish to try standard Back Raises or I've found the entire Swiss Ball Series of Exercises to be extremely helpful, not only with skydiving, but just maintaining flexibility as I get older.

EDIT: I just noticed that the three respondents were all twice your age. Try to keep up. ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I'm a fairly skinny guy as well. I think it's more a general issue - getting your body used to the arch position on the ground can be hard (especially without the force of the wind helping you out).

One suggestion is going to the tunnel. You can definitely work on your form in there...but not sure how the process is different for RAPS.

Another flexibility exercise is 'humping the wall'. Stand up next to a wall, with your feet about 6-10 inches away from it, and lean forward until your pelvis is touching the wall. Then lean your upper body backwards and arch hard.

It's more of a stretch, really, than an exercise in form...but that seems to be what you need at the moment.

Good luck!

PS - I'm older than you, too. 'Old Wrinkly Ninja,' my ass. :D:P

Signatures are the new black.

I called it that because the last time I saw it was on an exercise tutorial where it was called the superman.

It was probably called the "Boxman" and you were told NOT to do the superman, but it being several months have commingled the two. Superman is where your arms are straight out, whereas the preferred arm placement is in a "W" also called the boxman. Sound familiar?

As to flexibilty and stength - Glideman gave you a good stretching exercise. For strength, you may wish to try standard Back Raises or I've found the entire Swiss Ball Series of Exercises to be extremely helpful, not only with skydiving, but just maintaining flexibility as I get older.

EDIT: I just noticed that the three respondents were all twice your age. Try to keep up. ;)

I could be wrong but I dont think Uk static line students are told to exit in a boxman position when still on the rope.... ;)