sid

World Wrestling Legends

As I know that there are at least a couple of others on this forum that like "The Rasslin'" - I thought I'd share the show that I saw last night at the Hard Rock Live in Orlando. It was billed as 6:05, The Reunion, World Wrestling Legends, and for $25 these people were on the bill;

Nikolai Volkov (With The Iron Sheik) v Hacksaw Jim Duggan
Rick Steiner v Koko B Ware
Greg The Hammer Valentine v Jimmy Superfly Snuka
Eddie Colon v Vampiro
Kamala v Jake The Snake Roberts
Guest Appearance by Bruno SanMartino
Dory Funk Jr & Mike Graham v Tully Blanchard & David Flair
Virgil v The Disco Inferno
Diamond Dallas Page v Kanyon
All 3 members of The Midnight Express (w. Jim Cornette) v The Armstrongs w. Bobby The Brain Heenan
Buff Bagwell v Scott Steiner
The Blue Meanie & Norman Smiley v Jonny B Badd & Russ Rollins

Dory Funk looked to be at least 200 years old, but still can take a bump, The Volkov/Duggan match lasted about 1 minute, but damn it was still good to see them both. DDP and Kanyon (who wrestle a lot) put on a great show, followed by Kanyon openly coming out as a gay Rassler, followed by DDP touring him around the arena for Hi Fives and even stopping at the bar for a beer on the way through!

Jake the Snake must be off the Crack, because he's heavy again, but I think the snake outweighed him, and Bruno SanMartino (who I believe had a heart attack not long ago) has dropped a bunch of weight and looks fit as a fiddle.

$25 well spent........
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Glad to see Kanyon working again. That guy is excellent - has a brilliant mind for the business and doesn't ever get the credit he deserves for bringing new things into the US product.

I'm not sure the gay thing is a gimmick or not (and apparently that was his announcement that he, and not just the gimmick were, on further reading: edit) - neither do I care, but I REALLY like what he's doing with it publicly (as the rasslin promoters always tend to book the gay guys with exactly the same stereotypical gimmick and his 'coming out' is more about messing with that perception).

I'm hoping to meet Jake at some point - while I missed that era of American wrestling he's the one name that people tend to use when they hear my promos, so I'd like to find out more about the guy.

Sounds like a great show, hopefully they'll run something similar up here.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

Glad to see Kanyon working again. That guy is excellent - has a brilliant mind for the business and doesn't ever get the credit he deserves for bringing new things into the US product.

I'm not sure the gay thing is a gimmick or not - neither do I care, but I REALLY like what he's doing with it publicly (as the rasslin promoters always tend to book the gay guys with exactly the same stereotypical gimmick and his 'coming out' is more about messing with that perception).

I'm hoping to meet Jake at some point - while I missed that era of American wrestling he's the one name that people tend to use when they hear my promos, so I'd like to find out more about the guy.

I suppose it's a total waste of time asking (because I assume you have), but have you seen the documentary, "Beyond the Mat"?

Walt

I suppose it's a total waste of time asking (because I assume you have), but have you seen the documentary, "Beyond the Mat"?

Walt

I know that you replied to Alex on that point, But I have that DVD and Jake was truly pathetic, to the point that I felt SO bad for the guy. He has since bulked up considerably (he is a HUGE man) and didn't appear to in very good fighting shape. It was a very slow and gimmicky match, but Jake has such a ring presence.....
I'll see if any of the photos came out (I was some distance away and had to use the digital zoom)
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

How did Russ do against the Blue Meanie? There was lots of trash talking on the radio between the two. I wanted to go but I work my life away and have no time for fun stuff. [:/]

Russ did a good job, he has packed on some fighting weight, although Marc Mero did most of the wrestling. The Blue Meanie is truly horrible, and an insult to the industry. He's disgustingly fat and has little talent. Norman Smiley carried the match, and Russ and Marc had a nice double cross planned for the finale. It'll make for good radio today.
Pete Draper,

You mentioned Mike Graham...went to high school with him. Several, now well-known, wrestlers came out of your high school through links to Mike and his dad, Eddie Graham who was a wrestler and a major promoter.

Mike was well-respected as a level-headed and very personable guy.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Define World :|

Anywhere in a 50 mile radius of The Epcot Center....

C'mon, they had Nikolai (Russian), The Iron Sheik (Iran) Kamala (Uganda), The Blue Meanie (Fairyland), Vampiro (Hell) Bruno SanMartino (Italy) B|
Pete Draper,

Indeed I have.

Mick Foley is probably the primary reason I started training. I've still yet to meet him but the guy I manage has worked with him in New York several times. Hopefully one day I'll make the trip down and say hi.

Jake was a freaking mess in that movie, he seems to bounce backwards and forwards. I saw him really messed up at an ECW event as the special guest (him, not me), and then he screwed up the Legends of Wrestling PPV - now it seems he's a little cleaner and healthier. It's a shame, he really has such an awesome presence and persona.

Mind giving us a rundown of who won what matches?

Did Jake use the DDT? Is Jim Duggan still carrying the 2x4? Kamala still got that spear?

Any steel chairs/bloodshed? :D

As best I can remember

Nikolai Volkov (With The Iron Sheik) v Hacksaw Jim Duggan
Jim Duggan won, with the 2 x4 which he gave to a kid in the audience.

Rick Steiner v Koko B Ware
Koko won, but he doesn't have the parrott anymore

Greg The Hammer Valentine v Jimmy Superfly Snuka
Snuka by disqualification (thankfully they "stopped" him climbing to the top rope, although Snuka still looks really fit)

Eddie Colon v Vampiro
Can't remember - it got messy, good match though

Kamala v Jake The Snake Roberts
Jake won, but oy..... 2 outa shape guys. No spear, but he did have "Friday" with him, who interfered. Jake could not have lifted Kamala the shape he's in.

Guest Appearance by Bruno SanMartino

Dory Funk Jr & Mike Graham v Tully Blanchard & David Flair
Dory and Mike won. David Flair is nothing on his Dad (who is STILL the man) but Tully still looks hard as nails.

Virgil v The Disco Inferno
Virgil, easily

Diamond Dallas Page v Kanyon
DDP whipped Kanyon in a brutal match that involved chairs, ringside fences and miscellaneous objects. A lot of action in the crowd. It was obviously well rehearsed (I think they do this match a lot) and there was a lot of trust between them

All 3 members of The Midnight Express (w. Jim Cornette) v The Armstrongs w. Bobby The Brain Heenan
The Armstrongs won. Jim Cornette got a bloody nose after being hit in the face with his own tennis racket. Beautiful Bobby and Loverboy Dennis are really out of shape, but Stan looks like he could still hand out an ass whooping in real life.

Steiner beat Bagwell. Steiner is RIPPED and pumped. He's still using the name Big Poppa Pump and his arms are fucking huge. Maybe Alex knows why he's not still with the majors, he's a physical specimen bar none, and incredibly athletic.

The Blue Meanie & Norman Smiley v Jonny B Badd & Russ Rollins :S

Jonny B Badd and RRR won with a very duplicitous story line fuelled by the radio plugs that were very well done. The match involved a trash can, a chair and a little bit'o'blood. I can't tell you how disgusting it is that the Blue Meanie is even still in the business, the guy's a mess, a big fat blubbering mess........
Pete Draper,

Steiner beat Bagwell. Steiner is RIPPED and pumped. He's still using the name Big Poppa Pump and his arms are fucking huge. Maybe Alex knows why he's not still with the majors, he's a physical specimen bar none, and incredibly athletic.

Well I think it may be to do with the fact that:

1. He's so roided up he can hardly move.
2. Any wrestling ability he had went with his mobility
3. He completely tanked on a major PPV
4. He's not considered the most professional person to deal with (see Mick Foley's book, any of his last run in WWE).
5. he gets out of breathe going through the ropes.

That covers some of it.

Well I think it may be to do with the fact that:

1. He's so roided up he can hardly move.
2. Any wrestling ability he had went with his mobility
3. He completely tanked on a major PPV
4. He's not considered the most professional person to deal with (see Mick Foley's book, any of his last run in WWE).
5. he gets out of breathe going through the ropes.

That covers some of it.

He looked pretty mobile last night. You think he uses steroids? Really :P however, he did a lot of crowd interaction after the match last night and I noticed that security were paying him a lot of attention. I had a feeling he may have been on the verge of being out of control, or a VERY good actor.
Pete Draper,