pjc

Crossfire 2 Bad Openings,,, Slider Stop Unstitched???

Anyone come across a slider stop on a crossfire (metal disc thingies) coming unstitched and causing bad openings? My 139 (400 jumps) started getting bad openings just before a linetwist chop 5-6 months ago (this could well have been the cause), I've been getting nasty openings on 9 out of 10 jumps since then. A rigger has just spotted the slider stop being unstitched and floating about in it's pocket this weekend - a few stiches and I'm getting nice on-heading openings again.... most of the time ;)

If anyone else is getting dodgy openings on a crossfire, it is worth a quick check that all the stops are all still stitched in place.

Anyone come across a slider stop on a crossfire (metal disc thingies) coming unstitched and causing bad openings? .... a few stiches and I'm getting nice on-heading openings again.... most of the time.

I had the same thing happen on an Icarus Omni.

(Shhhhh. Don't tell anyone, but I fixed it myself.)

Peace,
-Jeff.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

:)
Thanks.

Well, I found many NZAS main canopies having that issue with the slider stops disks coming out from the small locked area & moving free under the white tape on the stab.

In one case I was reported that the metal disc got lost on deployment.

The nylon thread that ICARUS canopies use for the main sport canopies is # 60 Nylon thread which is less strong then the # 40 / size "E" / 69 & which could be a reason for the broken stitches around the disc.

ICARUS Spain have a different sewing method at the disc area - they put the disc into a Ty.12 webbing under the white tape, sew around & bartack at the top disc area to eliminate the disc from sliding out, but also Nylon #60 thread.

I contacted both factories for that & wondering why on same canopy there are 2 setting ways.

Also be aware that if your NZAS main line tabs bartacks or line to stab. attachment bartacks are ONE side start/stop bartack you might see the start/stop point showing broken # 60 silver thread

I saw that as well on canopies with that 42 stitches bartack - one more reason to move to center/stop bartack. NZAS use now the center/stop 42 bartack on the line tabs.

I hope that helps.

Be Safe !!!

Anyone come across a slider stop on a crossfire (metal disc thingies) coming unstitched and causing bad openings? ...

If anyone else is getting dodgy openings on a crossfire, it is worth a quick check that all the stops are all still stitched in place.

That happened on mine as well. Came close to chopping twice as the canopy was spinning up pretty good. Fixed it and now its sweet.

Mine broke on the right rear line group. Which was it on yours. Im just wondering if there is a bias towards the front or rear.