sdub2221

cold weather canopy flight

I learned some interesting stuff this weekend about cold weather flight, its a lot different! The glide was increased, I have parts in the outlying fields where I turn from crosswind to final in no wind situations, and can usually put my canopy realatively close where I think it will stop. Today was much colder, no wind, and I soared over the peas, it was fun.
Another note, Im sure it's my flaring technique that needs improvment, but I read B.Germain's book, and I am pretty sure I had the toggles as far down as I could get them, but still slid on my ass all 3 landings. Could 300+ jumps on a F-111 canopy be the cause of this? Or maybe I flare a little high? Is there a different flare height with F-111 canopies?

I don't think I would say that the flare height changes on an F-111 canopy, but the technique, for me anyways, is slightly different.

Zero porosity canopies like to be flared in a 2 stage method. Stage (quarter brakes roughly) to plane out the canopy, stopping your descent, and finishing the flare to stop your forward speed.

F-111 canopies seem to like to be flared in one continuous motion. No stage, just start to finish flare with no pause in-between.

This is only my experience with F-111, so proceed with caution! ;)