everymansaved

Hawkeyes from Square 1... Buy one!

I just thought I'd post this, as I don't knwo how many people are are aware that Square 1 has aquired the molds from Arrow Dynamics and is now making the Hawkeye camera helmet (as well as the aviator freefly helmet, which I already owned). I bought a brand new, cosmetic second from Square 1 on eBay, and it just arrived today. Wow! I was told that they had small cosmetic blemishes that made them unfit for selling at the full price, so I was imagining big paint chips, etc... I got it today, and I looked for a long time to find this cosmetic damage. Finally, I found a minute blemish on the internal audible pocket, which looked like a partial fingerprint in the gloss coat. I'm pretty sure the lid will sustain more damage the first weekend it sees use, as this thing was TINY! The workmanship on the helmet is great, it will be a breeze to mount my cameras to, it was very adapt at taking the cutaway I built for it, and it seems signifigantly lighter than the old hawkeyes. I bought the cosmetic second for $150 on eBay, and I think they're selling the production ones for about $250. Well worth the price. If you're looking for an open face camera helmet, check it out...
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

I bought one of the Aviators off ebay too and am pleased with it. A nice cheap alternative to some of the other helmets out there and real comfy too. The "paint blemishes" were pretty much unnoticable on mine too. There was a bit of rubbery glue excess coming out under part of the liner but hardly anything.
$150 was an absolute bargain.

I will let you form your own opinions based on your usage of these helmets. Subjected to daily use, consistent with working in the skydiving industry, mine literally disintegrated in about 6 months. If you only jump on weekends, or NEVER bump your head it will obviously last longer. I will say again,
"You get what you pay for!"

Agreed. I bought a "second" aviator and after one season (Canadian season) it is chiped and cracked all over. The helmet is very comfortable, and has 2 audible pockets which is great, but the shell was less than acceptable.

They have offered to replace it, and I intend on sending it in over the winter, hopefully they've fixed the problem.