N24

Idear: 3 Canopy Rig for fun jumpers

What about a 3 Canopy rig for fun jumpers how have enough money and want to fly sub 100 sqft canopies but don't want to land them.

It would have an usual (aprox 190) reserve and main container and an small 3 rd small container under the main.

So you would deploy the small canopy with a throw out, ride it for a while then cut it away ( usual 3ring risers),

an after that you go for your pullout /spring loaded main chute.

The small chute will be cut away by a special or student cypres for the case that the jumper passes out during canopy ride. and after that an usual cypres will deploy the reserve.

well very complicated rig, but it would rock to sell one ;-) Expensive container, 3 canopies, 2 cypreses :-)

and maybe some rich fun jumper would buy it :-)

Was anything like that ever planed? (I'm not thinking of the intentional cuta way rigs)

So you want to buy a $2000 high performance canopy, and then cut it away on every jump. This is what you're saying. Just buy the thing, and then set it free around 3000 ft on every jump.

How about you survive jumping with a two canopy rig for awhile, then revisit this idea.

A few guys at my DZ have been making some cool video while playing around with cutaway rigs this summer.

Well, when I say 'rigs' they've basically butchered the harnesses out of some old Teardrops (I think) to wear underneath their regular rigs, and are D-bagging the 1st mains.

Bear in mind however, that they are both extremely experienced skydivers, instructors and canopy pilots and they aren't jumping anything they wouldn't normally land.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

1) Anyone with some basic rigging skills and a little determination can create a system like that.

2) The complexity of emergency procedures goes through the roof when adding another handle or two to the system. There's a pretty notable fatality associated with an intentional breakaway gone wrong by a jumper who was "more than qualified".

3) There's just not enough market for such a thing.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

How about:

4. An unqualified pilot is a danger to himself/herself and others not only at landing time. If they are not capable of landing it, they are quite probably not prepared to fly it at all.

It is NOT all about the landing.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

I don't get it. What is the need for more than one Cypres? Why would I jump something that weighed close to a tandem rig? Why would I pack twice to make one jump?

Tickets get more and more expensive, so one could have twice the fun while only paying for one jump :-).
The second cypres is there to cut the small main away if it spins until the jumper passes out.

So you want to buy a $2000 high performance canopy, and then cut it away on every jump. This is what you're saying. Just buy the thing, and then set it free around 3000 ft on every jump.

How about you survive jumping with a two canopy rig for awhile, then revisit this idea.

Yes its right i don't have the experience to jump such a rig and probably never will have.
And yes the idear is to cut the $2000 main away.

Wouldn't be practicable for every jump, but maybe for some special ones.

Wouldn't be practicable for every jump, but maybe for some special ones.

The easy way to do this is to build a harness with an attachment point, and a cutaway handle. You wear this harness under your rig, and do a direct bag deployment.

You can cutaway the first canopy whenever you're done with it, then it's just a regular jump. We did this when we wanted to hook a canopy up backwards and fly it around that way.

For those jumps we used my old Stiletto 107, which had at least 2000 jumps on it and a lineset that was waaaay overdue for replacement, so if it got lost after being cutaway, it was no big loss.

what about spinning mals on the small canopy?

It wouldn't be easier to handle that even with 3 canopies or 4 in the container for that matter.

And I though the whole point with small canopies was that they were fun to land.

:S

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Back in the early 1990s, a few canopy formation competitors started experimenting with this concept, but judges quickly squashed that idea.
Competition judges said that CF competitors had to land the same canopy they used for rotations.
This was just judges being lazy and short-tempered.
Tee!
Hee!
It seems that judges did not have the patience to wait for the half-day search to retrieve cutaway main canopies.