somethinelse

Any Search & Rescue Volunteers Here...?

I joined up with a newly formed S & R group, West Central Michigan Search And Rescue.

It was just formed in Feb. And is associated with West Central Mich.'s S & R group but to cover the general Cntral Michigan area...

We need to get all of our own gear.

Where should I start to find good deals on GPS, AND compasses, rigging for climbing/descending, "hiking-stick" etc. etc....

ALL and ANY helpful info would be great!

-LuLu.

I do SAR in Illinois, I forgot who makes our packs, but it doesn't matter since there are much better ones out there now... just google search search and rescue packs and millions pop up... like
Clicky

You might want to look for something with a small pack for hasty searches that has an attachable bigger pack for ropes and climbing equiptment... Hope that helps...

"me you alcohol a rig a car and a bunch of planes what could posibly go wrong" - Pruitt

the list of gear that the West Central Michigan Search And Rescue grup has available at ttheir website IS EXTENSIVE!

I think support for the pack with all it's stuff is a good idea... Now how to organize all that STUFF to be able to FIND anything when I need it will be another challenge:$!

It was really funny at the first meeting I went to in March.

At one point the "leader" pres.(or whatever he calls himself!) asked the huge group that showed up for the first offical meeting (60+) of us there, who all worked in an offical capacity as medic police or fire rescue now... almost 75% or more raised their hands!

I was definitely in the minority as just an ordinary citizen...But one that likes adventure and challenge I guess...Which obviously what the others share too, but that took them into their desired occupations-
but me into my thrill-seeking sports/hobbies.

More later...Gotta Go!
BLUES!

:)

I have not had experience with that particular bag no... my point was more to illustrate a bag that has seperate compartments that can be attached and removed depending on the search. That is why I added to look for one that does have a shoulder strap... Mine has shoulder straps and a chest strap along with the waist belt... but if you take off the big top compartment, you can remove the shoulder straps so it is like a fanny pack and that is where the canteen is... I wish I had a pic... hope that kinda explains :S

"me you alcohol a rig a car and a bunch of planes what could posibly go wrong" - Pruitt

I follow you... I was just commenting on the design of the True North bags in your first clicky. It seemed to me like it could move back and forth with only the one attachment point - I'm not sure I'd like that if I was having to crawl a ledge to a patient.... :o
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Nope probably not a good thing if it moves around... but it has the waist band and harness B| I like the one I have but can't find it online (would probably help if I remember who made it) :D

I have done but one real SAR mission and it turned to be a bogus search as the family of a missing man faked the event!
So much time, energy and money was lost on that, what a shame.
I am not sure if the family had to pay or what happend, but the County was looking to press some charges on them.
I don't think they could get money from that family as I am sure they have none.
But I like SAR and want to someday train a dog for future SAR missions.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

For our state team we use packs from the Pack Shack and another one that I will have to get the name of on Monday. The ones we use for USAR are crap. If you are a member of NASAR you can get a good discount on GPS's and compasses.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!