derrickiv

Altimeter + Audible, Which Combo?

A little off topics, but who in the military is forcing you to have an audible?

I'm both a military and civ jumper and have never heard that rule. Just curious.

Any other military people ever heard of this?
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

I agree, Alti-II has a much easier face, my problem is that it's a wrist mount. Anything else I get will be on my hand which is turned toward me, as opposed to away from my face.

Ah, I gotcha now. I was thinking of 'wrist-mount' as basically 'anything that mounts on your wrist', whereas you were drawing a distinction to 'hand mount'. Makes sense. But the distance thing still holds - it'll be sllightly tougher to read an analog from a distance, IMHO.

I've also read that a lot of people use chest mounts for wingsuit and tracking dives.. so I guess I could eventually do that, which makes the point moot.

Yeah...when I moved to a digital altimater to wear on my wrist (er, hand), I grabbed a mudflap mount from Bonehead and put my analog altimeter on that.

(Of course if you do that & mention it, people on this forum will flame you for not "using your EYES" as your altimeter, but I just found it much easier to look at when learning to sitfly. YMMV.) But I'd still recommend grabbing a Galaxy, anyway, for longevity/utlity's sake.
Signatures are the new black.

A little off topics, but who in the military is forcing you to have an audible?

I'm both a military and civ jumper and have never heard that rule. Just curious.

Any other military people ever heard of this?

It's an Academy "rule", just another way to ensure we never grow up.

Depends on what you want. I'm older generation, old school, low tech and perfectly happy with a FT-50 on the back of my hand and a Pro-Dytter inside my helmet. I hardly even use the FT-50 anymore, except under canopy and I find the Pro-Dytter is just waht I need for setting breakoff, pull and hard deck altitudes in freefall. You might want to have all the data & statistics on every jump, but I personally skydive to get away from all that shit, so it doesn't mean much to me.

If you do want all the bells and whistles, there are any number of altis out there that will foot the bill, both audible and visual, digital or otherwise. You can probably even find one to stick up your ass and tickle you at pull time for all I know. Just depends on what you want....

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !