Michele

Stupid Question of the Day

So, it's supposed to be stormy here tonight. Really. I know, it's the end of May, and it "never" rains in California, but it seems that this year, we're getting some free watering for our lawns. YAY!

I went over to the local forecast from Wunderground.com, and read through the special alert. "Flash flood warnings for..blah, yada, et cetera." "Rain heavy at times, producing more than an inch an hour for the following areas et cetera." "...Some of these storms could produce heavy downpours... frequent lightning... small hail... and strong wind gusts over 40 mph. In addition... an isolated waterspout or small tornado is possible... especially across the Los Angeles basin."

What? Let's read that part again...
"Some of these storms could produce heavy downpours... frequent lightning... small hail... and strong wind gusts over 40 mph. In addition...an isolated waterspout or small tornado is possible... especially across the Los Angeles basin."

Wind I can handle. Thunder and lightening? Easy, dodge the panicked cats, and go back to sleep. Heavy downpours are fine, I'm water tight.

Small tornado? Like, a tornado wanna be, or a tornado tornado? See, that I dunno about.

I've done some quick research; all advice is to get into the bath tub if you don't have a basement. I don't have a basement, but the bath tub? In my house, the bath faces west, with only the bathroom wall between it and the street.

So what does one do in that sort of situation? And how does one know it's coming to actually take measures, especially if one's asleep? We don't have alarms for tornados.

We get earthquakes. Those, for the most part, I can deal with. But tornados? Yes, I know we get them, but not here...in the desert, or in desolate flat areas. But in Los Angeles? Yikes.

Any advice? Suggestions? I realize that this is a very very slight possibility, and that 99.999% chance it won't happen. But still...how weird to see that as the forecast for my area. And unsettling. I almost didn't post this, but I wanted to know from some of you vets how to handle it, should it actually defy the odds and occur.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I grew up in N. Texas. You know what we did when we had tornado warnings?

We didn't care.

Then again, we had a tornado warning about ever 3rd day between March and June then in August to November. Even saw some funnel clouds. Still didn't really care. They weren't near my home, just in the area.

If you hear a train coming, but you don't live by the tracks...get in the bathtub and cover yourself with a blanket. Beyond that, not much you can do.

Is the sky green (or was it before the sun went down)? Also, where there's a tornado there's hail. Is it hailing outside?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Growing up in Oklahoma we generally ignored all tornado warnings. If the storm was particularly violent most people stood out on their front porches just to watch the show. If an actual funnel cloud was sighted anywhere nearby then the drill was to move into the innermost room of the house, away from windows.

Having said that, the tornado that tore the roof off my apartment several years ago was not preceded by official warnings of any kind. I was leaning out a window, watching the lightning show, when the wind suddenly picked up. Then it REALLY picked up. For the record, it did not sound like a train; I don't know how that little myth got started. It sounded more like standing close to a large turbine engine. I turned and ran towards my bathroom but the damage was done in about five seconds, so I never got there. That roof tearing away was the most terrifying sound I've ever heard.

So, I guess my point is this: tornadoes are a lot like earthquakes. Completely random and unpredicatble destruction, scary while it's happening, but most people get through them just fine.

I hope you don't live in a trailer though.:P

Matt

Lisa, the storm is moving almost directly north, as opposed to east as we are used to. So that's why it's sort of stripey, how the rain goes. The low pressure system slipped farther south than they were expecting, so the pattern's a bit off. It's raining gently down now, and it's 1 am. It's not thundering nor has there been any lightening that I could see (granted, I've been inside with the lights on, so who could tell...)

I will take everyone's advice and ignore it. The warning, not the advice. I take sleep medication, so I probably won't hear any train, loud car, or fire engines (a station is just up the street...). If I do hear anything, I'll head into the tub...

And no, Dave, the sky wasn't any color but grey from about 9 am on...humid and sorta cool for this time of year; maybe 70 during the day, and maybe 60 now...so off to bed I go...

Thanks, everyone. Nothing will happen, which is why it's the stupid question of the day...:S

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

oh yes, fun times. It started raining here in Anaheim *at disneyland* around 12:30, just had a small 'downpour' at like 2. nothing serious, boring really.

hmmm, as for tornado... I think, if my memory servs right, that we have had a few of these in the last few years. tiny lil guys, took a roof of a business or something... huntington beach? i don't remember where. hmmm, fun, i wanna see one!! but defidently prefer the earthquakes.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720