PLFXpert

Alligators vs. Sharks

Which would scare you more?

Previously, I would have said sharks.

Alligator attacks/deaths were extremely rare---that is until recently in one week three women were attacked and killed. The coroner of one woman determined she HAD to have been attacked on land (on the jogging path where she was running) and dragged into the water. They later found her arms in its stomach:S I know----SICK!B|

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/15/alligator.attacks.ap/

I used to be the pioneer of telling people from other states alligators are NO BIG DEAL here in Florida. Now......?

Oh, and Animal Planet did a thing where they set up a hypothetical fight between an alligator and a shark---it was a close-call. But, if I remember correctly the shark won.

:P

So, would you rather swim across a gator-infested lake or shark-infested waters. I'll get hypothetical on your bootay's today:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I do a lotta scuba diving, and the onlyest times I was ever skert was when a Tiger Shark kept 'bumping' into me....that and when several Barracuda took special interest in the fish I'd speared!:o

Gators are like snakes...let 'em alone, they'll leave YOU alone.;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I went on a midnight canoe trip with my Varsity Volleyball team in highschool---our idiot coach planned it and not only was it not a full moon--but a really cloudy night and the river was surrounded by thick trees that sort of canopied over it.

My point is that it was PITCH BLACK--you coudl not see the canoe in front of you w/out a flashlight.

All we could see were these shiny eyes if we pointed our flashlights two feet away. And they make this honking sound.

I won't go into the really mean (but so deserved) thing I did to the bitch I got stuck in a canoe with:D:D:D

I think I'd be okay swimming with the sharks if I could hypothetically generate enough of my own urine to coat three people, and then completely soak myself in it before making the attempt.

But hypothetically, I'd rather be flying in my own personal wind tunnel and earning $1000/day doing it. :ph34r:
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I hear they don't like the "taste" of avocado.

I eat an avacado everyday.

And now I'm hijacking my own thread....:P

Avacado's are SO yummy and SO great for radient, gorgeous skin.

You're welcome:P

I'll take the sharks, you're usually in water that is clear enough to see them. swamp water you would not be able to see anything until it was to late. (That and most sharks won't screw with you.... he he Oh well you get the point!!

I'll take Sharks over Gators anyday!!!:P
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

Trust me when I say---yes there are some tall, beautiful girls---but I assure you the team looked NOTHING like Penthouse when we were through:D

In fact, I think we all looked more like Michael Jackson's Thriller after the 4-hour trip (that we arrived back from at 4 a.m.!). :D I have pictures[:/] They're in a locked safe for no-one to ever see, EVER!;)

Now I have a friend of mine that went scuba diving in a spring (very clear water) in Florida...guess what he found behind a log?? Yep....scared the piss out of him. (Duck, that may be a good thing, right?) He said that both he and the gator moved very fast in opposite directions.:o

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

It's true. It's true. I've seen plenty-o-gators waterskiing/wakeboarding near where I'd fall:P

Once, snorkeling in a spring over some seaweed I saw a tail---a BIG tail. I "Just keep swim-ming. Just keep swim-ming. Sing to self-in-heeeaaad. The gator won't eaaat me. Lord please pro-teeeect me. Just keep swimming.":D

Seriously, that's what I was singing to myself in my head:P

I've SCUBAed with sharks before, they didn't bother me.

I've also river rafted with crocodiles, it was scary when the boat capsized.

but I'd MUCH rather swim with sharks then alligators. Sharks don't assume you are food.... alligators do. as long as you don't splash, youll be fine.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Here's the funny thing---I think people are confusing alligators with crocodiles. B/c up until these recent attacks, there have been a REALLY low incidence of alligators attacking humans.

Crocodiles, on the other hand, have been proven to be aggressive toward humans, etc.

I thought for sure most people would pick an alligator over a shark.

I still don't know which I'd choose. :D If you'd asked me before the recent attacks, I'd have said alligator hands down as I've swam in plenty-o-lakes infested with them:P Of course, I've swam in the ocean, too. Damn>:( I can't choose. That is so unlike me:P

Where I live (next to a swamp near these stories) we've had to pull gators out of our garage, they've eaten our cats and I've been charged while I was repairing the fence.

..But they're shy. You usually don't see them as they sit beneath the surface as you approach. (I've almost stepped on them) Their skin is crazy hard, and no, running in a zig-zag doesn't work.

The story on the gator death last week was that this guy was with his wife and her dad, and she separated from the group. When they came around the turn in the stream they found her in the gator's mouth. No splashing, no screaming, just his wife sticking out of a gator. Yikes

I paddle my surfboard in forest lakes and such when I can and I do feel pretty safe. They're speculating rising pH levels in these areas are leading to unusual aggression as we've swam these spots (as do a lot of ppl) without problem for a long time.

I've had sharks kinda push on me while they swim by and I've been told thats how they check out potential food. So, it seems like sharks are bolder and more selective and alligators are shyer, but more opportunistic because of competition.

I pick shark, remember how it took out the whole amusement park in Jaws III?

I think the real question is: ninjas vs pirates

blue skies ^^

If you walk, just walk. If you sit, just sit. But whatever you do, don't wobble.
- Master Ummon

I think I'll take swim in shark infested waters for $200 Alex. :P Gators were here when the dinosaurs were and unlike the dinosaurs, survived whatever it was that killed almost everything else - I ain't fuckin' around with that kind of an animal. Now sharks, they have VERY bad eye sight so my thinking is that they might not see me and if they do, you can always punch them in the nose, poke em' in the eyes, etc. .....not that I EVER want to be that close to one or have the need to use those techniques :|

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

I think I'll take swim in shark infested waters for $200 Alex. :P Gators were here when the dinosaurs were and unlike the dinosaurs, survived whatever it was that killed almost everything else - I ain't fuckin' around with that kind of an animal. Now sharks, they have VERY bad eye sight so my thinking is that they might not see me and if they do, you can always punch them in the nose, poke em' in the eyes, etc. .....not that I EVER want to be that close to one or have the need to use those techniques :|

Actually, some sharks have great eyesight. In fact, some studies have concluded sight plays a larger factor in what they decide to eat than smell.

But an alligator's bite is four times as strong as a great white shark's, so choose your poison.

And punching a shark or an alligator in the nose isn't really the best strategy. On a shark, aim for the gills or, as a second choice, the eyes. On an alligator, aim for the eyes.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.