Flying-Wench

Gravity (as defined by a WUFFO)

bless my fiance.. trained nerd that he is. i am so much more learned for knowing him :P

he declared to me in the car the other night.. "how can you fall faster than gravity! gravity is a constant dammit!"

my reply: *shrug* << is not nerdy

so he went on a mission today to explain it.. and heres what he came up with:

"Gravity is a constant, of 9.8 m per second. An object falling in free space within the earth's gravitation pull will accerlate at that speed in the first second, doubles in the second second (confused yet? I AM!) etc etc until terminal velocity is reached. Also, when you jump from a plane, its not just you moving towards the earth, the earth also moves towards you. Even thought the amount that the earth moves towards you is negligable, its does move towards you."

:D CRIKEY! :D

comments? questions? knives and hatchets?

You will accelerate like that in a vacuum..... There happens to be an atmosphere on this planet. Also if you use the inverse square law you prove that everything has a gravitational force and no matter how far you are from that object it is exerting a gravitational force. Therefore EVERYTHING in the universe is pulling upon you and YOU are exerting a force on EVERYTHING in the universe.

yes yes dont shoot the messenger. lol

it was a random nerdy moment i thought i would share with you all. *grins* i dont know shit about gravity aside from what goes up, must come down and that when i jump out of the plane (providing one rememebrs to let go of the strut), its windy and earth is approaching quickly.

most amusing. ;)

I was wondering if a jump from the equator would be as long as a jump from the poles. Considering exit altitude and temp are the same. I think we weigh slightly more at he equator than the poles.

Where is my lighter ?B|

he he i should email that to aforementioned WUFFO partner.. he might stay awake all night thinking about it *grins*

thats not your lighter.. thats my lighter
<

"Gravity is a constant, of 9.8 m per second...

It's an ACCELERATION constant: 9.81 m/s^2 at sea level. The higher you go, the lower the constant (diff is negligible at 14000 ft)

Without any air resistance, you'd keep accelerating until impact (oh and your parachute wouldn't do any good ;) )

So you can tell him that you don't accelerate faster than gravity and reassure him that you won't get fined for trespassing Newton's law B|

All your dropzone are belong to us!!!!111!